Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeelias Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 04:08 PM
    480/277volt 3 phase panel how many amps can it handle
    Trying to calculate how many amps a 480/277volt 3phase 200 amp panel can handle total,is it 200 amps each leg or 200 all together would like a simple answer please
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 04:13 PM
    The answer is 200 amps @ 480v 3 phase.
    Or...
    166,000 watts

Jun 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    The answer is 200 amps @ 480v 3 phase.
    Or....
    166,000 watts
    So the total amps this panel can handle is 200. So if I count all the breakers in this panel it can not exceed 200 amps.

Jun 15, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeelias View Post
    so if i count all the breakers in this panel it can not exceed 200 amps.
    No. That number is completely meaningless.
    It is not uncommon to a see a full 200A panel with 800+ amps "worth" of breakers.

So we can get a better idea of how to help you what is it you are looking for? Why are you asking this?

Jun 15, 2009, 09:43 PM
    It is not uncommon to a see a full 200A panel with 800+ amps "worth" of breakers.

So we can get a better idea of how to help you what is it you are looking for? Why are you asking this?
    I have a tenant who says he needs 1200 amps and 480/277v 3 phase in order to move in to the suite and I have 2-200 amp 480/277v 3 phase panels

Jun 15, 2009, 10:03 PM

I have a tenant who says he needs 1200 amps 480/277v 3 phase in order to move into suite I have 2-200 amp 480/277v 3 phase panels
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 15, 2009, 11:35 PM
    i have a tennant who says he needs 1200 amps 480/277v 3 phase in order to move into suite i have 2-200 amp 480/277v 3 phase panels
    Wow! What kind of suite is this? Your tenant is asking for a lot!

Jun 16, 2009, 03:34 AM
    i have a tennant who says he needs 1200 amps and 480/277v 3 phase in order to move in to the suite and i have 2-200 amp 480/277v 3 phase panels
    Maybe I am biased, but it would seem obvious that two 200A panels would in no way shape or form be able to provide 1200 amps worth of power. :(

I agree with Washington, someone who needs that kind of power really needs to make that point a priority in their location search.
    Unless you have outside agents to handle these things for you, if you are the landlord/owner you really need to know specifically what you have to offer.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2009, 04:03 AM
    Be sure to get from the tenant exactly what there load will be.

Do they need a 1200 amp service or do they have 1200 amp load?

Service needs to be loaded no more than 80% of it's rated capacity. So, a 1200 amp rated service can handle no more than 960 amps.

If the load truly is 1200 amps, then a 1500 amp capacity service is needed. 1600 Amp equipment is a standard size.

Landlords and/or property managers usually have an electrician or an engineering firm on retainer to advise owners of electrical ratings of tenant spaces.

This is so when the space is advertised, prospective tenants can know right away if the space has adequate electrical capabilites.

Tenants in turn should also inspect a space with professional advice to be sure the space meets their needs.

Clearly, with only 2 - 200 amp panelboards, and a tenant that needs 1200 amps, this space will not meet their needs without upsizing the service.

Jun 16, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Maybe I am biased, but it would seem obvious that two 200A panels would in no way shape or form be able to provide 1200 amps worth of power. :(

I agree with Washington, someone who needs that kind of power really needs to make that point a priority in their location search.
    Unless you have outside agents to handle these things for you, if you are the landlord/owner you really need to know specifically what you have to offer.
    I didn't ask you for all your other opinions all I asked is it able to handle the load or not all your extra typing you still didn't answer the question
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 16, 2009, 08:55 AM
    i didnt ask you for all your other opinions all i asked is it able to handle the load or not all your extra typing you still didnt answer the question
    The answer is no, you do not have a service rated for the request.

Jun 16, 2009, 05:03 PM
    i didnt ask you for all your other opinions all i asked is it able to handle the load or not all your extra typing you still didnt answer the question
    Well too bad. You got all my other opinions anyway.

On the contrary. I think I did answer your question:
    grover5151 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2010, 08:25 PM
    The first thing you need to do is get a load chart from the tenant to find out what the total connected load will be, then go from there on figuring the size of the service needed. Be sure to consult the power company engineers as to the availibility of the service needed.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2010, 09:07 PM

I'll answer your question as stated. Your two panels will not handle a 1200 amp load... period.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 07:18 AM

Where are you located? If a renter over here needed 1200 Amps, Authorities may think he is growing something, and a lot of it.
    Are the Loads mostly Refrigeration?

Jul 18, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grover5151 View Post
    The first thing you need to do is get a load chart from the tennant to find out what the total connected load will be, then go from there on figuring the size of the service needed. Be sure to consult the power company engineers as to the availibility of the service needed.
    I think after over a year this is all taken care of, don't you?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2010, 08:53 AM
    No no no
    walker1980 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 03:15 AM
    I think they quite CLEARLY answered the question at hand.
    You HAVE TWO 200 AMP PANELS. This equals a TOTAL SERVICE OF 400 AMPS
    Henceforth do the basic math 1200 MINUS 400 equals 8 HUNDRED AMPS LESS than what the tenant is requiring. But factor in that you cannot within code overload service unles you'd like your property burned to a pile of dust so you will REQUIRE 1,600 AMP SERVICE TO ACCOMIDATE THIS Tenant. That is a one thousand four hundred amp diffrence.

You have to weigh the pros with the cons. You'd most likely be mandated to upgrade ALL WIRING on the premesis or at very minimum the main feed and meter, add additional branches to accomidate the load and so forth.

Its frustrating yes but you cannot argue with stone hard cold fact.
    What kind of place is this a factory? Ususlly most normal office spaces do not require nearly as much amperage. The apt. complex where I live at where the power is included in tenant rent has 63 units plus the office common areas, elevator, maintenance shop, as well as a garage and carports and lighting outdoors. So the service to this place is probobly exceeding 8 thousand amps. But it's the top mains that come to the building(36,000 volts give or take) somewheres on the line transformers break down that into 120/240 most likely after the meter I don't know never asked I could though.

That's all there is to it.

You REQUIRE 1600 amps.
    walker1980 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 03:19 AM
    My apologies I mean one thousand two hundred amp diffrence my mistake. I'm new here do not know how to delete and redo posts here lol.

Oct 9, 2012, 03:47 AM
    I think after over three years this is all taken care of, don't you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three phase power to a breaker panel [ 1 Answers ]

Can I connect one phase of a three phase output to one side of a 240 VAC panel and another phase to the other side if I open any and all 240 VAC breakers? This will be a temporary fix until I locate the schmematic to the 15 kW generator. There may be more current flowing through the neutral, but if...

Upgrading Panel From 150 to 200 AMPS. [ 3 Answers ]

I will be upgrading my service panel which is now a 150 Amp up to a 200 Amp panel. I am trying to get a materials list together so I can get prices in order ahead of time. My question is what size copper or aluminum do I need to get to feed from the meter to the panel location? It is about 10...

100 Amp panel vs 325 Amps worth of breakers? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a house built in '49. The basement was remodeled by previous owner and the Service Panel was upgraded to 100 AMP. The wiring to the breakers are a mixture of modern sheathed 3 wire for the basement level and the original knob and tube wiring for main floor circuits (all fed via the attic)....

Max Amps in a Panel and adding a sub panel for more circuits [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I recently moved into a condo with a 200 amp panel (in my unit). The main panel is in the electrical room of the building and my unit was previously a commercial retail space. I did some remodeling and my panel is now full. The total combined amps of all the circuit breakers...

3 phase 230 volt panel [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 phase 230 volt 3 wire panel that has a 120, 120 & 208 volts phase to ground and 230, 230, & 230 phase to phase.The AC guy came and installed a new 208/230 volt 3 phase unit. He measured above voltages and told me since one of the voltages is 208 we have to fix that problem first. Do you...

View more questions Search