Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caroln242 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Ceramic tile over drywall?
    I was talking to a man at Lowe's about my bathroom remodel. He said to use cement board in the shower area (which I understand), but he also said to use the cement board everywhere in the bathroom where there is going to be tile. There will be floor to ceiling tile in the shower area, and tile up about 4 feet everywhere else. The man at Lowe's said that tile will fall off drywall after awhile because condensation will loosen the paper on the drywall and the weight of the tile will just make it fall off. So, I asked about paperless drywall, and he didn't know about that.

So... is it really a no-no to put ceramic tile over drywall? Anywhere in the bathroom? What about in a hallway?

Thank you!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:51 PM

It is OK to use green board in non wet areas.

Use wonderboard in wet areas

Good luck

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 08:34 PM

The man at Lowe's graduated from the bottom half of the class of free advice givers. Wonderboard, Hardiebacker board, cement board Schluters system are all good for wet areas and are not needed for non-wet surfaces. Greenboard is water resistant at best and paperless is a good option but ordianry drywall is acceptabke by code but most installers want their work to last and go greenboard.

Jun 16, 2009, 07:53 AM

Thank you! The advise I got from the man at Lowe's really seemed a little over the top. I think he just wanted to sell me the more expensive cement board! I may be back here from time to time with more questions... I've never demolished and rebuilt a bathroom before. There's a lot to know!

(Personal note) By the way, ballengerb1, from Wheaton... I grew up in Villa Park, IL... small world! Also, my great grandfather's name was Ballinger (with an "i" instead of "e").
    timothy friel Posts: 29, Reputation: -2

Jun 16, 2009, 08:17 AM

There is a meshing that you can buey at any masonary ware house for seramic tile, specificly designed for dry wall that is painted that is what you need

Jun 16, 2009, 08:20 AM

Caroln, send me a PM and I'll tell you more about me and Villa park, there's a lot.

Jun 16, 2009, 08:47 AM

Hi Ballenger,
    I don't think I've been a user long enough to access private messaging yet. I read that 48 hours is required before all features are available on this site. Here's what I got:

caroln242, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

If you are trying to post, you probably have not activated your account by clicking the link in the email we sent to you. Remember, the email may be in your bulk email folder.

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or access administrative features or some other privileged system?

Jun 16, 2009, 08:54 AM

Click on my name to theleft of this post. You should be given many options including e-mail and private messaging. If not try reviweing your own profile to insure you completed everything.

Jun 16, 2009, 09:05 AM

Carolyn, you have no contact information in your profile. I suspect you clicked on something you should not have and have not created or allowed e-mail and/or private messaging. Ciompleteing your profile can be a slight pain but read every part as you edit your profile. Start by clicking on your profile and then read the left column, click on edit options.

Jun 16, 2009, 09:38 AM

Ballenger, I checked this box in the "edit options" section:
    Receive Email from Other Members via a Form (your email is not revealed).
    So far, it still says I have no contact information on my profile, but then again, it says the same thing when I click on your profile, except that you have instant messaging. But when I click on that, it doesn't do anything.

It does, however, now show my homepage when you click on my name. It's my family history website and I have an e-mail link on the site which you can use to contact me. Somehow that seems simpler than trying to contact you here!

Carol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I tile over existing ceramic tile? [ 1 Answers ]

I have two rather small bathrooms which have mud set 1x1 porcelin tile floors. The house was built in 1972 and these are original floors, in excellent condition. There are no loose tiles or any cracks. I used a 4 ft level to check the level in several directions and the worst case is 1//8 inch...

Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?

Ceramic tile over vynal [ 2 Answers ]

Can you just rough up the vynal and thinset on top, or do you have to put down a underlayment such as durrarock or hardiboard? This would be in an existing bathroom.

Ceramic tile baseboards [ 1 Answers ]

How does one get rid of these to replace with wood without tearing off the plaster behind?

Cleanest method of merging between tile & drywall/tile & tub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there guys, I'm drywalling my tub enclosure, preparing for tile, and I've got two questions before I continue: 1) In the past, I've simply placed the rockboard/drywall line about two inches below the terminating line of tile. Is this the best way to handle this? Do you simply bevel the...

View more questions Search