Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skeanes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 11:00 AM
    My husband thinks I am cheating and I am not
    My husband thinks I can stop for 15 minutes and have a quicky on my way home from work. I can't even stop to get milk with out him wondering why I am late. I know we have fights in the past and my behavior and discussions we have had has somehow lead him to suspisions. However I admit to misusing words and what I say has a different meaning to him. Bottom line I am not cheating and he doesn't trust me, He has had this insecurity for a long time and I just accept it and go because I know I am not cheating on him. I have tried everything to avoid putting him in the position to think that but no matter what he thinks I can an will do it no matter how many times I tell him I am not. I do not even leave room for that. I rush home to avoid being accused. Yes I have given him plenty of reasons to make him think I would. But I simply have not and nothing I tell him changes that.

How do I convince my husband I am not cheating.

I forgave my husband for cheating and I trust him fully again. But now he thinks I can and am cheating on him now. We have had our ups and downs and I have made confusing remarks in the past that lead him to believe I was trying to tell him that I cheated. He thinks I am capable of cheating on him and he thinks that I would do it and think that is OK with myself. I am not cheating nor have I gave him any reason to my knowledge. If I am late coming home from work he acusses me of having sex on the way home and It is ridiculous to me because If a stop at the store for a loaf of bread I have to worry that he thinks I am being sneaky.

Yes he has always acted like this he is paranoid no matter what I do to convince him he doesn't trust me. And I lead to him cheating on me. And I forgave him. I also cheated on him once but he thinks there are more and there are not
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 11:21 AM

How long have you been married? Has he always acted this way?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 11:32 AM

You know sometimes, it's really a cover up for his behavior.

The fact that you did cheat before, would give him the "right" to become suspicious when he feels that you are showing "signs".

When did you cheat? Was it before or after he cheated? When did he cheat?

Cheating, cheating, cheat on me, cheat on you.

There's a whole lot of cheat.

I don't think this relationship is worth salvaging.

Sarah
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 11:34 AM

Sounds like your marriage has some serious problems. The lack of trust is major. Once it has been broken, many people can never regain it no matter how hard they try. How long ago was it?

It seems like counseling would be in order if you even hope to salvage the relationship. Both of you have broken the bonds that should be sacred and you need help getting to the bottom of why.
    mercoria Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 12:16 PM

Trust is like a crystal ball. Once a stain has been put against the ball, it can be seen fron every angle. No matter where you sit and stare at the ball, the stain shows through the transparent glass. Once someone's trust in you has been broken, it is best to shatter that whole ball and start over

It can be with the anyone, a different or the same person.

Sit him down once and for all and explain that the trust was broken initially. NOW its time to move on, to rebuild your trust and leave the past behind. You can make the future, but it can only start with leaving the past behind
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 01:01 PM

Sounds like he is shifting his guilt for his past transgressions onto you. He may, without realizing it, almost be hoping that you do cheat so that it can somewhat resolve him of his actions. Sort of a now we are even kind of thing. He could be worried that you will cheat thinking that you would feel justified in getting back at him. Maybe he is still cheating and hoping to shift the spotlight onto you. Perhaps he feels you have the upper hand in the relationship... you are not on an even playing field. You may or may not be giving that impression... perhaps without even realizing it. There could be any number of reasons he is acting the way he is.

Time to have a heart to heart talk with him... and it may take several talks over time to clear the air so that both of you feel you have a fresh start in the relationship. It won't ever go back to where it was, but it can be better, in some ways, than it was. You may be able to resolve the issue together, or you may find outside help will be necessary.

Either way it needs to be done as obviously neither of you wants to continue the relationship without having feelings of trust, honesty, and a mutual commitment to moving forward.
    MoodsterMan Posts: 38, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 14, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skeanes View Post
    I forgave my husband for cheating and I trust him fully again. But now he thinks I can and am cheating on him now. We have had our ups and downs and I have made confusing remarks in the past that lead him to believe I was trying to tell him that i cheated. He thinks I am capable of cheating on him and he thinks that I would do it and think that is ok with myself. I am not cheating nor have I gave him any reason to my knowlege. If I am late coming home from work he acusses me of having sex on the way home and It is rediculous to me because If a stop at the store for a loaf of bread I have to worry that he thinks i am being sneaky.

WOW!

He cheated on you and is now down your throat about cheating? Jeez, counseling... you need to go ASAP.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 01:49 PM

Please take time to learn our site

You started three different threads on the same subject, two of them in the introduction area not even the right area.

I hope I have moved this mess into one thread.

Please merely add more info to this thread by answering your own question, not starting new threads
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2009, 03:27 PM

I agree with the others often blaming and accusing means they are guilty of something. He has trust issues and need counseling.

I know what its like to have a guy insist you are cheating when you only have 10 minutes unaccounted for and it was the 10 extra minutes you spent in a traffic jam; not driving out of your way to a supposed affair they made up in their head.

Insecurity will wreck a relationship faster than anything.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 07:25 PM
    There is no way that YOU can convince him that you're not cheating. HE has to convince himself.

Having been untrustworthy himself, he is now projecting his behavior on to you. It's his way of not only controlling you but also covering up his fears - because if he can do it, in his mind, so can you.

Stop reacting to his accusations and questions. Quietly let him know that you no longer wish to engage in the discussion or answer his questions. If he tries to argue, start doing something else or leave the room.

He's a big boy now. This is his 'stuff'. He has to learn how to quiet his fear and jealousy and deal with the consequences of his actions. Time to grow up and man up.

His behavior is borderline abusive and obsessive. If the relationship is important to him, he needs to take responsibility, and seek counselling. He will feel a lot better (and so will you!) if he does.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 14, 2009, 07:54 PM
    That you both treated each other poorly, and both of you cheating during your marriage is only one part of this problem.

Him timing your every move is another. Regardless of who cheated on who first, that is in the past, and are his jealousy and control issues a result of that, or has he always been that way, and he just uses the excuse that it's all your fault.

As the others have said, it is very hard to get past a cheating spouse. Some never do.

And those that choose to try, cannot do it without changing behaviour, and fixing problems (usually of communication) that were there to begin with.

The point is, he thinks he has 'cause' to determine your every move, and he does not.

Insecurity and control together, are a recipe for disaster. As you have already found out, nothing you say or do is enough proof to let the matter rest.

I suspect that he's been like this all his adult life, and both of you need to hear from a counsellor that there has to be changes made on both sides, to re-establish trust.

Without a fair playing field with mutual respect, you'll just keep spinning your wheels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband always thinks I'm cheating [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for almost 2 years, and he is constantly accusing me of cheating while he is at work. He says he hears people talking when he calls me but there is nobody there with me, and says I have hickeys and bruises but I have not been with anyone. I don't know what to do...

Husband thinks I am cheating. [ 93 Answers ]

I have been married for 3 1/2 years. My husband threw me a 40th birthday bash at our acreage. Approximately 50 - 70 people where there. My husband thought I was flirting with 2 male ex-coworkers, both whom I had worked with for 4 years. Both of the men are married and one of their wives were...

My husband thinks I am cheating [ 1 Answers ]

My husband went through my bedroom drawers and found a sticky note in the bottom of the drawer that said "freak of nature" and had a spanish word signed underneath it. We have built in drawers in our bedroom which were there when we moved in. I vaugley remember seeing the sticky while moving in and...

My Husband thinks I'm cheating on him [ 4 Answers ]

OK I'm going to make this as short as possible, I've been married for 4 years, every friend that I seem to have since we've been married, my husband thinks I'm messing with them, it does't matter what sex they are... and like a good wife I would stop hanging out with them. My husband thinks I'm...

Husband thinks I'm cheating [ 8 Answers ]

I have been married 18yrs got married when we were 21.My husband thinks I cheat on him.I have had more boyfriends then he had girlfriends when I was younger.I have lied to him about money and bills but I have taken out home equity loan to get our bill back in order.It comes out of my paycheck.But I...

View more questions Search