Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HRH911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Ugly, Ugly brassy roots.
    I have been coloring my hair blonde with L'oreal Les Blondissimes LB01 for years always with great results. However, recently my rooots have been turning horribly brassy. I have not changed my haircare routine at all however I do have some grey roots so I am wondering whether that could be the problem. I used a toner once and it turned my hair an ugly dirty grey. I simply cannot afford to go to a salon every 3 weeks or so to have this done professionally. Any helpful advice will be so much appreciated.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2009, 09:33 AM

Gray hair is notoriously resistant to bleach. Even though it is white, when treated (lightened) with hydrogen peroxide, it yellows. This is contrary to what most people expect, but it is what happens. I think that's what happens in your case.

Les Blondissimes uses a strong peroxide concentration (40-volume = 12%) to achieve its lightening. If that doesn't work very well, the better solution is to use persulfate bleach instead of hydrogen peroxide as the lightening agent. In other words, you bleach and tone instead of using a single-process high-lift tint like you've been using. The advantage is that it will likely be less damaging to your hair than the strong peroxide.

As for the toner, you undoubtedly used an ash shade. Use a neutral violet-based toner to take out the yellow.
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2009, 09:19 PM

The gray would not be the problem despite some ppls opinions! Gray hair has no pigment!when you lift your hair color you are lifting the pigment out of it! As I said gray hair has no pigment in it so it would not turn brassy! If you were my client I'd highly suggest a highlight lowlight foil instead of the allover color! This will give you way more longevity n you won't need it as often! If done correctly you could go every 10wks! That would save you a ton of money! You can save even more money by rotating every visit between getting a full foil n then the next time get a partial foil! The lowlite will help blend in the line of demarcation as your hair grows! Your lowlite should be close to your natural level for best results! Also foil placement should be done very natural n be very fine slices! Chunky highlights make it way more obvious as it grows out! So foils instead of allover color n natural fine slices of blonde n a lowlight is the way to go! Hope this helps save you money n allows many more weeks before you need a salon visit!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frully123 View Post
    hello. my advise is to give a damn about other people and get a life....when u want to change than for urself and not for the others...lol
    That's awful. She never said she was doing it for anyone else. It sounds like she doesn't like her roots. And there's nothing wrong with that. Your "advice" was just rude and didn't even address her actual question. Not to mention its frowned on to drag back old posts that the OP hasn't even come back to for sometime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I ugly? [ 12 Answers ]

Nobody at school ever asks me out But,everyone on the internet says I'm so hot am I ugly?

I am ugly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm chelsea and I'm 16. I'm 5`8 and I weigh about 143. I'm very self conscience and I hate myself. I think I'm the ugliest fattest thing on this earth. I use fake tanning products every 2 days so I can look skinny (tan makes you look skinny). I have bad black heads on my nose. I have bad...

I'm so ugly [ 9 Answers ]

Why can't I be pretty? I can't live with being ugly

Brassy roots rest of color fine [ 2 Answers ]

I had my long hair permanent color with violet base colored yesterday--My hair is light brown to medium brown and a lot of gray on underside of hair--I hate red brassy colors--the two to 4 inches of the top of my hair from roots down is to brassy red and I would like to know which product or type...

View more questions Search