Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AngelDeus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 05:09 PM
    The human genome
    What is the human genome?
    ironclad04 Posts: 193, Reputation: 8

Jun 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
    If you take up biology, you will learn a great deal about this subject, just a heads up!
    Its what makes us as a whole! Our bodies from the inside out! Mostly dealing with DNA
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Jun 12, 2009, 07:38 PM

It is the full set of genes found in humans. In other words it is all of the DNA that codes for this set of genes (~22,000). People receive 1 copy of each gene from each parent. So the genome refers to what you get from one parent. This (called haploid) amount is about 3,300,000,000 base pairs. This amount of DNA weighs about 3 micrograms and if stretch out would be about 1 meter (yard) long.
    ironclad04 Posts: 193, Reputation: 8

Jun 12, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jem02081 View Post
    It is the full set of genes found in humans. In other words it is all of the DNA that codes for this set of genes (~22,000). People receive 1 copy of each gene from each parent. So the genome refers to what you get from one parent. This (called haploid) amount is about 3,300,000,000 base pairs. This amount of DNA weighs about 3 micrograms and if stretch out would be about 1 meter (yard) long.
    That's a mouth full! Though you are right in a sense about the statics, but 10-12 percent of the human genome is still undiscoverd?? Maybe that's where parents come in?
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Jun 12, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ironclad04 View Post
    but 10-12 percent of the human genome is still undiscoverd??? maybe thats where parents come in??
    Undiscovered? What are you talking about?
    10% of our genes certainly aren’t remaining to be discovered.

Of course you could invoke the Rumsfeld “unknown unknowns” (As I remember it “there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.”)

But seriously, 5 – 10% is reasonable for the number of genes / DNA segments which have copy number differences between “normal” people (called CNV). And 5- 10 % is a reasonable amount of the genome which remains to be assembled in the big jigsaw puzzle called the genome.
    Calling either of these “undiscovered” would be a stretch!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2009, 12:58 PM

A genome is a set of genes. Humans have a genome made up of about 22,000 genes, like jem says.

Every organism has a genome, even potatoes.

But so do dogs, cats, worms, and every plant you can think of. Even a bacterium has genome. Every organism has a complete set of genes, or a genome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Biology- Human eyes changing color? [ 23 Answers ]

Can human eyes change color, or is it just different types of light reflecting in their eyes? I am dating someone whose eyes are sometimes very blue, but sometimes green. I also have a friend whose eyes change from brown to green.

Human VS Pig [ 7 Answers ]

I have heard that the pig is very close to humans genetically but what are the most identifiable differences between the DNA of the two?

The Human Dog [ 1 Answers ]

This site has quite a few interesting articles pertaining to many frequently asked questions, such as Housebreaking issues, dominance issues, separation anxiety, and many other common issues and questions, so I thought I would share. The Human Dog - Treating a Dog like a Human

How could someone do this to a human being? [ 5 Answers ]

Am in a relationship for aa year now.everything has been going well,till I found out that when my boyfriend went to visit nigeria last christmas,heb got a girl pregnant.my whole world crashed.I have exams coming up soon and I want to call it off.am still in shock.I just found out 3days ago.I need...

View more questions Search