Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randy1212 Posts: 111, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Old kohler with points and condeser no spark what do I check
    I have a old tiller with a 4hp kohler I put new points and condenser and a new coil on it. Still no spark.. it has 100lbs of compression. The fly wheel magnets seem to have good straignth to them. The points open and close with the gap set right.. but no spark.. what else is there to check?? Thanks..
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by randy1212 View Post
    what else is there to check???
    Sparkplug, cables, any switches(?).

Jun 10, 2009, 02:47 PM

New plug no cables no switches.. points condenser coil it is basic.. that's why I am going nuts.. any thoughts
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2009, 04:22 PM

What did you set your gap at?

Jun 11, 2009, 04:59 AM

Gap on the points is at 20 the stater is under the flywheel so I am asuming it is right there is no adjustment to that?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 08:22 PM
    gap on the points is at 20
    Don't know what engine model you have, but that's reasonable place to start. For engine models I'm familiar with, coarse adjustment is setting them to just begin to break at the S, SP, or T mark on the flywheel. Fine adjust then with timing light so mark is centered in sight hole at 1200-1800 RPM.

the stater is under the flywheel so i am asuming it is right there is no adjustment to that??
    Do you get any shock holding the plug while turning the engine by hand? Are you actually not getting any spark or is the engine just not running? The plug can be pulled, grounded to the block hole, and then engine cranked by hand to see if there is spark.

For the models I'm familiar with, the Kohler coil kit has a piece of cardboard to be used as a gauge for setting the gap. For testing the magnets, Kohler's Service Manual suggests holding (hanging) a non-magnetized screwdriver an inch away from the flywheel magnet. Magnet should snap the screwdriver in.

I've also run into a couple cases where the flywheel sheared the key, rotated, and got wedged or rusted and then the magnet's passage by the coil was out of sync with everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kohler K181 with no spark at plug [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have an Allen Mayfield two wheel tractor with a Kohler K181t engine. Magneto version. Had trouble starting it and had no spark so I have replaced the magneto on it tried various spark plugs/ condensers and still it will only produce a really weal spark round the spark plug if at all....

Condeser fan motor wiring [ 1 Answers ]

The new condenser fan motor for my air conditioner has a purple,brown, green and black wires, the york condenser had red,black, brown and green , Is the purple the same as red?

Kohler Engine K181s No spark? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1975 Wheel horse lawn tractor. It has a Kohler Model k181s motor in it. Recently it died while I was mowing. I replaced a bad coil wire. A coil that was leaking some type of fluid, and the spark plug. Still I have no spark... what do I replace next? :(

View more questions Search