Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elaine9876 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2009, 07:56 PM
    How do I get my husband into rehab for his addiction?
    I want my husband to get some kind of help for his crack addiction. It has been going on for way to long-virtually every day. He claims he wants help and maybe he does who knows. All I know is that I want him to get help, but there are so many different rehabs and facilities, I don't know where to go or if I can even afford it with no insurance. How do I get my husband to stop smoking crack?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 08:00 PM
    You don't get him to stop smoking crack, only he can do that .
    Most times it takes hitting rock bottom, losing all that he loves.

He will only quit when he is good and ready to.
    doesntwantit26 Posts: 29, Reputation: -3
    -

Jun 9, 2009, 09:06 AM

Basically crack is not physically addicting like opiates or benzos so a detox is really not really however I will tell you this you are just wasting your time if he doesn't want to stop.and a lot of times addicts just tell there family members they want help to appease them. But if he's serious a regular 28 day rehab program followed by outpatient services will help. But remember none of that is a cure it is just there for support and ultimately he will have to want to stop and do it himself .
    ironclad04 Posts: 193, Reputation: 8

Jun 10, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doesntwantit26 View Post
    basically crack is not physically addicting like opiates or benzos so a detox is really not really however i will tell you this you r just wasting ur time if he doesn't want to stop.and alot of times addicts just tell there family members they want help to appease them. but if he's serious a regular 28 day rehab program followed by outpatient services will help. but remember none of that is a cure it is just there for support and ultimately he will have to want to stop and do it himself .
    In other words its his chioce to take the offer to help himself?? He's probably a nice guy I'm sure, but his addiction to me is not an addiction, it was a chioce! He mad a hole for himself risking everything that's close to him!! But as you can only be there to support him, and lead him the right way I guess! I used to be an addict myself, I know what its like! And now that I have a child, I have something to live for!! I wish you guys luck!
    Elaine9876 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2009, 07:35 PM

Thanks, for the advice, we already have children together and right now they are really to young to know what's "really" going on, but I tell them lies so they want know where he is at or why he isn't at home at night when they go to sleep. I just think that he is wasting his life! And mine to in a way! Part of me wants to there for him and I know what a good person he is (when he's not on drugs) but some times I feel like the bad days out number the good days a lot. Sometimes he does really good and it seems like he's finally going to stop all together and then all of a sudden it's over and he's out spending all the money that we have. How do I support him and lead him the right way when I don't even know how to help. I have never done drugs and I have know idea what he feels or why he want stop?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2009, 07:37 PM

Check to see if there is a state hospital, many will have programs.
    The state hospitals have to help regardless of income
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2009, 03:07 AM
    Why don't you speak to your doctor and get his/her advice about how to approach it.
    Take your husband with you - drag him along if you have to.

Tell him it's dangerous for his health and for his mental well-being. Tell him that he has to do it for the children and to get his life back.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doesntwantit26 View Post
    basically crack is not physically addicting like opiates or benzos so a detox is really not really however i will tell you this you r just wasting ur time if he doesn't want to stop.and alot of times addicts just tell there family members they want help to appease them. but if he's serious a regular 28 day rehab program followed by outpatient services will help. but remember none of that is a cure it is just there for support and ultimately he will have to want to stop and do it himself .
    I'm not going to give you ANOTHER reddie, but dude , DO NOT answer questions about something that you have no idea what you are talking about. Crack cocaine is one of the most addictive drugs there is. People lie, steal, cheat, beg, prostitute themselves for more crack. Do you think they are doing it for fun? You couldn't be more wrong.

And crack is NOT a deritive of opium like J_9 stated. Is comes from cocaine, NOT the opium poppy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Your husband claims he needs help, well talk to him about going to detox and rehab first then get into a 12 step program like AA or NA. You see, I am an addict/alcoholic myself, in full recovery. The way I got clean, and the way my wife regained sanity was through this program:

Nar-Anon Family Groups
    This link IS FOR YOU, it's a support group for family members. It's free, anonymous, and worldwide. Please go and give it a chance, it will change your life. There's a meeting near you this week, maybe tonight.

Chances are, he really does want to get help. At that stage, it's not that an addict WANTS to use it's that they HAVE to use. I got hooked on painkillers when I started having back pain. I had another surgery Jan. 09, and had the doctor ween me off the pain pills. I am still experiencing severe pain from time to time, BUT I know that I can't take them responsibly so I don't . He's an addict, so don't let him jump to another substance, like alcohol, or pills, or weed. Total abstinence is the key. Tell him you want your husband back. I know he's sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. GOD bless you on this journey. It's not going to be easy. Get him into detox first.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:16 AM
    And yes, there are programs that are affordable. Some are based on your income. The most important thing is to go. If he says you two can't afford it, tell him he can afford the drugs just fine.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 12:05 PM

So doesntwantit26
    I hear crack heads using the not physically addictive excuse all the time. Yet I see they need to go through withdraw too.

So can you tell us the difference and how it is so much better/easier to go through withdrawal as a psychological addiction as opposed to a physical addiction?

I don't know if there is an Archewellness in your area but they use balancing your chemicals, nutrients and other things to help addicts recover.
    Most rehabs only address motivating you to want to quit and why it is good and things like that. Then they go back out and do it again because they still have the imbalances that cause them to crave the crack.
    When your body is out of balance you crave something depending on why it is out of balance. Like you could crave sweets that means you are lacking protein or some other things, or you could crave caffeine or salt.
    Same with drugs and doing drugs also depletes the very things it is lacking.

Arche Wellness Welcome To Arche Wellness
    smokeloco Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2009, 07:20 PM

For 1... stop enabling him. You can't help anyone who don't want to help them self... this might sound f***ed up, but kick him to the curb just let him know, this is serious. Its going to take him to loose something, like family...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Rehab a Shed? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 11 ft by 28 ft shed I am looking to rehab and live in as a one room efficiency. Problem is, it needs a lot of work. I'm a woman so I really don't know much about these kind of things, and would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. It has large cracks in the walls that need to be...

Drug rehab [ 1 Answers ]

In June I got custody of my 2 grandchildren due to their mother using and selling drugs. DCS was not called in but she voluntarially gave up custody for min of 12 months. The judge STONGLY suggested, but did not order a hair follicle drug test so there would be a benchmark established for showing...

View more questions Search