Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rxnarunner Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Jun 8, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Took over business, how do I handle filing income tax
    My friend has taken over his fathers business (auto body). He now has to file quarterly taxes. I went on to the IRS website and just found it to be a little confusing, so I thought id ask you guys how to handle this.

How do you calculate income tax in the state of New Jersey? He is a LLC.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Telling us the business is an LLC is NOT enough.

The Limited Liability Company (LLC) is a business entity, not a tax entity. When his father set up the LLC, he chose which tax entity he would use.

The default is sole proprietorship, but he could have also used partnership or S corporation as well.

Further, you are asking about quarterly taxes. You could mean quarterly estimated taxes to pay his personal income tax bill, or the employer taxes (Form 941), under which he would reconcile his monthly deposits of withheld income, Social Security and Medicare taxs for his employees.

BOTTOM LINE: You need to do some research and be a bit more specific with your questions if you want anything approaching a clear and cogent answer.

Of course, the easier solution would be to hire a local tax professional to begin with, rather than try to learn everything about how taxes for a small business work on the fly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing with no income [ 1 Answers ]

What do I do if I had a substantial income in 2007 and no income in 2008. I did not apply for unemployment. I lived off my savings. I have a mortgage with interest to deduct etc.

Filing taxes on income from foreign business [ 1 Answers ]

I am married to a U.S. citizen and we moved from Europe to the U.S. in May 2007. Over 2007 I have around $12000 of income from running a small business with a partner. This business is registered in Europe, which means that that income would be qualified as 'foreign income' It seems I have two...

Tax filing but no income [ 1 Answers ]

I did not have any taxable income in 2007. Should I file any tax forms?

Filing without income [ 2 Answers ]

Never

View more questions Search