Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bs4691 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 09:41 AM
    Cast iron vent stack and PVC waste lines
    I decided to replace the cast iron portions of my waste lines from a double vanity sink to the waste line. Previously a plumber had replaced the accessible portions with PVC so I have quite a mix. Now that I have opened up the wall, I see that I have a cast iron vent stack / hub (see pics: ) that the two sinks drained to and then cast iron down to the floor. In the crawl space the plumber had tied into the cast iron where it exited the floor and it is PVC to main wast line that goes to the septic system.

My problem / question:

I got ahead of myself and cut the vent stack just above were it enters the hub. I was going to replace all of this with PVC but it has not occurred to me that the weight of the cast iron stack will be too heavy for the PVC to support. This is a single story ranch so the vent stack is pretty simple. There is nothing above. Are there hanger systems to support the cast iron when coupled with PVC? Any advice on how to proceed?
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Short of running PVC all the way to the roof, ( that's what I would do) you can purchase a raiser clamp to install on the stack and cut a couple of 2 X 4 jacks to hold the clamp and the stack up. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting basement plumbing to cast iron waste stack [ 1 Answers ]

I'm putting in a half bath and a washing machine in our basement and I'd like to like to connect it to the main stack and drain, which is all 4-inch cast iron. The sweep where the stack meets the sewer line has no clean out and appears to have some corrosion, so I'd like to replace it. I was...

Exterior Cast Iron Waste Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old house where the soil stack (4" cast iron hub) was installed on the exterior wall out side of the house. At the second floor level there is a sanitary "Y" into the house second story bath. Above this "Y" the cast iron reduces to 2" cast iron vent but does not extend to the roof and...

Cast Iron Vent Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I have just purchased a 1950's rental property with a cast iron vent stack. The insurance co. wants me to replace it as they are prone to leaking in older homes. The job seems fairly straight forward, but do you have to replace the elbow/cleanout at the bottom that is cemented into the basement...

Cast iron waste [ 1 Answers ]

Removing toilet from cast iron waste

Cast iron vent stack [ 7 Answers ]

I'm installiing a new basement bathroom and when running a vent stack I would like to tap into the existing cast iron with PVC using a saddle on the cast. My question is what method is used to cut a hole in the cast iron, where I wish to place the saddle and connect the PVC.

View more questions Search