Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fuel451 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Ceiling fan w/ remote issue...
    I bought some long life fluorescent lights for my fan with remote. After I tried to power the lights on it flashed on, then off. Now, neither the fan nor the lights will power on with the remote or the pull strings. It only occurred after this happened that the lights won't work with dimmers.

My question now is, how can I get the fan with or without the remote to work. I put regular bulbs in and it still doesn't work. The breaker was not tripped, but I think something within the fan was blown.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    emlyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 12:02 PM
    It sounds like you burnt the motor to the fan!! I did the same thing! That sucks! You should try to take it back or buy a new fan! Its almost going to cost you the same!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 11:08 PM
    Ok, first of all, you did not burn out the motor to the fan.

You can not use compact fluorescent light bulbs with dimmers (such as those in a ceiling fan remote). Doing so can damage the bulbs but it can also damage the dimmer-- in this case, the remote receiver.

Since the fan has pull chains, the receiver can be removed. Open the fan canopy and bypass it, and see if the fan works with the chains.
    Fuel451 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2006, 05:46 AM
    Thanks. That's exactly what I did. I tested the lights and the fan without the receiver and they check out, even the new fluorescent bulbs work. I guess I blew the receiver. No problem. I can do without the remote for now. Any recommendations where to get replacement receivers?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 09:20 AM
    Any place that sells ceiling fans should sell remote/receiver kits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan remote control [ 34 Answers ]

?? Hi I have a hampton bay sidewinder ceiling fan that came with a wall mount remote control. I wanted to have a hand held remote control, so went and purchased a remote control that came with its own receiver (hunter). I replaced the original receiver with the new receiver. The hand held...

Harbor Breeze Remote Issue [ 13 Answers ]

I have three ceiling fans that I installed a couple of years ago with the remote control. I had them all set to the same freq. so one remote contolled them all and I have had not problems until now. After leaving for a week on vacation we got back and none of the three fans will respond to the...

Wiring issue with a Hunter Ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me. I just moved into a brand new home and the Master Bedroom is pre-wired for a ceiling fan. It has two wall switches, one to control the light and one for the fan. The Hunter fan has a black, a white, a black/white and two green wires. The prewire...

Wiring ceiling fan with remote [ 1 Answers ]

There is a black, white, and red wire coming out of ceiling There is a black and white wire on one side of remote - black, white, and blue wires on the other side of the remote A green fan wire is connected to a bare ground wire from the ceiling Everything is connected per the...

Problem with ceiling fan or the remote? [ 15 Answers ]

I have read everything I can find regarding problems with ceiling fans but haven't found an answer to my question. My ceiling fan which I bought 1 1/2 years ago quit working entirely. Unfortunately, I can't find the manual (or the receipt). How do I know whether it's a problem with the remote or...

View more questions Search