Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Macktwin88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Explain merchandising inventory account will require adjustment at year-end.
    Explain why the Merchandise Inventory account will usually require adjustment at year-end.
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 30, 2009, 10:10 PM

mack, to ensure proper valuation of inventory, there will be a inventory count at year end, and the adjustment will be the difference of purchases of inventory less sales of inventory less actual inventory. The inventory account will have a contra account to post to also for the amount of shrinkage/theft/destroyed goods etc.. In addition, to valuate the inventory is a must. For example, oil today isn't the same value as it will be next week, much less in a year. Thus the need for adjustments. Add to that a blended value for FIFO or LIFO you can see why an adjustment is needed. Hope this helps.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 12:23 AM

Mack, considering this is homework help, I'm assuming all these questions you've been asking (here and the other forum) are homework questions. Please read the red announcement at the top of the page. We're not here to just answer your stuff for you -- you should make some attempt to do it yourself first and then check and see if are right.
    Macktwin88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgsnkats View Post
    mack, to ensure proper valuation of inventory, there will be a inventory count at year end, and the adjustment will be the difference of purchases of inventory less sales of inventory less actual inventory. the inventory account will have a contra account to post to also for the amount of shrinkage/theft/destroyed goods etc.. In addition, to valuate the inventory is a must. For example, oil today isn't the same value as it will be next week, much less in a year. Thus the need for adjustments. Add to that a blended value for FIFO or LIFO you can see why an adjustment is needed. Hope this helps.
    Thanks and next time I will give my answers to the questions. It was an homework question that did get correct. I just wanted to see what your response to the question would be to get a different opinon. But I do apologize.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 09:35 PM

Not a problem. It's nice when someone actually pays attention. :-)
    Suhail_Majeed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 08:06 PM
    Rent account 7500

Rent outstanding 2500
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2010, 06:52 AM

This is an old thread, so why are you adding on. You need to start your own thread with a proper question and what you have done to answer the question, so that we can help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

End of Year inventory adjustment entry [ 4 Answers ]

I have just discovered that the raw inventory amount reported on our balance sheet for 2007 was understated. I want the raw inventory numbers for 2008 to be correct. In order to correct this error I will need to increase my inventory. Can I do this, or do I need to amend my 2007 1120S? The...

Merchandising business account record [ 2 Answers ]

Which accounts are affected merchandising business record a sale?

View more questions Search