Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gail47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Inheritance Taxes: Federal and in GA
    My father passed away earlier this year, leaving 3 children a sum of less than $500,000.00. Everything was probated and distribution made between his 3 children. Just wanting to know if I have to declare this money as income and are there any taxes that will need to be paid, federally or to the state of GA. I have been told by the executor that any money that needed to be held for taxes has been held, but it makes me nervous. I don't want any unexpected surprises! Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 01:28 PM
    They should issue you a 1099 normally showing you what taxes were paid,

They may only be discussing the Federal Inheritance tax

You will have the issue of federal and state income taxes and/or if property was invovled also Federal gains tax.

And how the money was handed over, was part though life insurance which is not taxed and so on.

Normally if it is very invovled, a good tax attorney will be needed to review it completely
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 5, 2006, 04:11 PM
    No need for a tax attorney in this simple case.

NO estate taxes were due on such a small estate, so it is likely no estate tax return was even filed.

A fiduciary return for the estate MAY have been filed to account for any capital gains tax that would be due on the sale of an asset like a house.

However, distributions from an estate is NOT SUBJECT TO federal or state income taxes.

YOU or your siblings will owe NO taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

Settlement charges, how to claim on federal taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am not sure how to claim and what I can claim for settlement charges for my house. I was charged... 300 processing fee 345 application fee 1500 broker fee 65 tax service 50 funding fee 595 underwriting fee -38.12 interest 595 insurance premium for the year

Do I file federal taxes if I didn't paid any [ 4 Answers ]

Do I file fereal taxes if I have not paid any I only for 3 months but only for one day a week (71/2 hours a days for 3 months ) I been on LOA for a year . I filed in 2004 (work until I went on Medical leave) I have 2 children so that why they didn't take any federal...

Income taxes on inheritance [ 0 Answers ]

For Colorado and Federal Income taxes, do you have to report an inheritance and pay taxes on it?

View more questions Search