Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weetamoe79 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 04:31 AM
    Grounding a well pump
    How do I make certain that my well pump is grounded? Two pumps have burned out in three years. Both were installed by different people. Last installer thought both pumps were struck by lightening (insurance company will not cover unless I give them the exact date of lightening strike). Approximately 20 feet away from the pump, there is a grounding rod outside the house near the electric meter. Inside the basement near the water pipe, there is a thin copper wire wrapped around a copper pipe and attached to a screw in the wall. Is this enough to ground the pump? Thanks for any information you can provide.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 27, 2009, 08:14 AM

Sounds like the screw in the wall is just to support the copper pipe and not a ground. I'm assuming your well pump is in your basement and not in the ground. That pump should be grounded through your electrical feed by a ground wire back to the electrical panel.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 27, 2009, 08:31 AM

Quote Originally Posted by weetamoe79 View Post
    there is a thin copper wire wrapped around a copper pipe and attached to a screw in the wall.
    That doesn't sound like a proper ground to me. Show us a picture.

What makes the well man think it was a lightening strike. If it was , you most likely would have seen other signs. Which is why insurance company is saying show me proof. While grounding is for lightening protection I don't think it guarantees no damage. Grounding is also done through the ground wire connection to the ground rod.

Short pump life could be caused by short cycleing cause by water logged tank, or voltage drop cause by incorrect size wire and probably a number of other things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Differnce between neutral grounding and separated grounding [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between neutral and separate grounding?? Why and when do you defer between them?? Basically why do we ground, what's its purpose and what are the differences between the varying methods. I hope I don't sound dumb but the US NAVY nuclear electrical school didn't teach me ...

Well pump: correct breaker and proper grounding? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing a pump on an existing well. The motor on the pump is 230 volt/7.2 amp. The placard reads ,"switchless motor, no switch, no governor,Thermally protected KA". The following are questions I have regarding the installation: 1) What breaker would be correct, since it is...

Grounding / Water Pump / DSL service [ 11 Answers ]

Looks like a great community I've discovered here. Hopefully someone can help me out. I will try and keep it short - By accident, I have discovered that my well system is intefering with my DSL service. Turn on the water, and SNR as reported by the DSL modem drops from 15-16 to 5-6. As you...

Grounding a boost water pump [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I would like some advice on grounding a water boost pump. It is 750 ft down the hill from the house and a conduit is installed to supply power to it. It is 220 volt single phase 1/2 horse 6.5 amps. Is grounding accomplished by an EGC from the main panel or can the pump be grounded only by...

Grounding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

I am using an existing wire that was used for a dryer. I have changed the breakers to 2-20 amp single pole breakers and am splitting the line to make two 110volt GFI outlets for a whirlpool tub (1 for pump and 1 for heater). I have a red, white, and black wires, however, there is no bare copper...

View more questions Search