Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earlbrown11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2009, 11:27 PM
    I'm looking for info about a seascape artist S. Moonier?
    Can anyone give me some help locating this artist or in finding value of two of her paintings? My limit is Google and I'm having no luck.
    Thank you,
    Earl Brown
    fmtaskart Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

May 25, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Hi
    Sylvia Moonier Boutell... visually-impaired artist... painter... sculptor
    Here is some information. See if your works are similar to the one in the links:
    A sculpture:
    2005 APH InSights Art Exhibition
    A painting: (see two-dimensional art-Sunning in the Park)
    2004 APH InSights Art Exhibition

Good luck
    earlbrown11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Thank you for your help. I looked with magnified vision at the subject watercolor and was struck by 2 points, 1) a different medium and 2) no signature visible. If it is signed "Moonier" then I believe we've located the artist I seek.

The next quest would be to establish a value for the two paintings which once hung in the office of the President of Beverly Hill S&L which was squashed in the late 80's by the S&L debacle. BH S&L was an $800 million disaster. I ended up with his 9' Monteverde Young desk and credenza, as well as these two beautiful paintings of two sailboats, one anchored in port, the other alongside a mooring.

Both the paintings and the desk/credenza have been difficult to price for resell.

My initial search was based on the actual artist signature "Moonier" with no luck at all. I then resorted to following a path set in motion by a ballpoint pen inscription written in blue ink on the back of one of the paintings, surely added by another, "S. Moonier xxx-xxxx" the x's represent a scribble covering whatever else was written.

The trail: Moonier to no where, S. Moonier to Ms Sylvia Moonier Boutell. The different medium is not an issue as we all know artists tend to seek their favorite medium after years of work within a set routine. Also visual impairment would probably force change. Perhaps this is a painting from her maiden days, before visual impairment?

Or is there another S. Moonier who painted sailboats?

I had intended to attach two jpegs photos of the paintings but they are 1.5 and 2 MB whereas the limitations for attachments to this site are only 750kb.

It would help a lot if I could show the paintings and ask for someone to identify the artist.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to accomplish this downsizing please let me know.
    Thank you

May 26, 2009, 02:35 PM
    Hi
    Check this out for a signature on a nautical:
    HUGE ORIG SAILOR NAUTICAL PAINTING NEWPORT CA ARTIST NR - eBay (item 110393663470 end time May-31-09 18:00:00 PDT)

Follow the auction to see the sell price. There is a closeup image of her signature.

About resizing a photo:
    The software that comes with your digital camera will have an option probably labelled "resize" in imaging. That option will have another option not to distort the length-width proportions of the image. Set the larger number to 750, the other will adjust accordingly. Play around till you get it, but be sure to save your image FIRST with another name lest you trash it. I would like to see a closeup of any writing front or back. You need to use your macro setting on your digital camera.

May 26, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Hi again

Yet another for sale on ebay(same seller):

ORIGINAL ISLAND OF PHUKET PAINTING NEWPORT CA ARTIST NR - eBay (item 110393667125 end time May-31-09 18:00:00 PDT)
    HMoonier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 09:10 AM
    I would love the opportunity to add to this question. Sylvia is my Great Aunt and I have several of her paintings. Unfortunately, the family lost touch and I have never had the opportunity to meet her. I am an artist myself and I’d love to be able to contact her if anyone knows where she may be now that would be greatly appreciated. I’m pretty sure she still lives in California but any information would be helpful. :)

Jun 9, 2009, 05:21 AM
    Hi hmoonier

Oceanside California, sylvia m boutell . I found her number but I don't want to print it here.
    You should be able to find it through the web, phone company... good luck.
    HMoonier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 07:42 AM
    fmtaskart Thank You so much! I'll check the Oceanside phonebook now. Also, thank you for not posting her #. It's very respectful of you :) Thanks so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any info on the artist Robert Cox? [ 1 Answers ]

I have many oil paintings by Robert Cox. Any info on this artist would be appreciated. Thanks

Need info on artist Valle [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil painting of a young boy who looks kind of like a hobo, and the signature is Valle. I have seen another oil painting with same signature of a ships captain. I am looking for more information on the artist if anyone know anything, please post:p

Look for info on the artist [ 7 Answers ]

I purchased a painting in the chicago suburbs back in the 80's. It is signed F WAGNER and I think the artist is czech or slovak. I would like to find out more about the artist. Where do I look. Thank you

View more questions Search