Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

May 23, 2009, 08:12 PM
    What are bleeing ulcers?
    My stepdad that lives in another state with my mom is in the hospital for bleeding ulcers.. how serious are they? Can they be life threatening? And how do you get it? When I asked my mom if he was OK she said that it's not as bad as they thought it was at first.. either that or they thought it was something worst.. so I'm not sure what she meant about that.. it kind of seemed like she was dodging the question:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 23, 2009, 08:22 PM

You didn't say where, but intestinal or stomach is common.

An ulcer is basically a sore that can't heal. A bleeding wound so to speak. The person is losing blood internally and that's not good because blood can only be replaced so fast. They can be life threatening.

An example of ulcers that are not caused by behavior, is suppose one has diverticulitus which in simple terms means that there are too many twists and turns and places for food to hide in the intestines. Small seeds can get caught there and they never get ejected, hence they bleed and never heal. Eliminating seeds like from cucumbers and tomatoes etc. may be all that's required.

Medications can cause them too.

They can be extremely life-threatening if they break through the intestine or stomach.
    dwcasey Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 05:44 PM

I had five gastric and two duodenal ulcers. One of the duodenal ulcers started bleeding and I had no idea I even had ulcers. I ended up in the hospital for a week.
    As long as they are being treated correctly and monitored, he should be fine.
    Mine where caused by taking to many NSAIDS due to my RA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding Ulcers.Deadly. [ 2 Answers ]

after several months... I finally got a doctor to do an endoscopic test on me, he found two bleeding ulcers the size of quarters in me, he said they were at the point of rupturing that my life was in danger, he also informed me that the hospital when they did my ultra sound on me that they should...

Leg ulcers [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I have a problem with leg ulcers for the past six years. It began when I was living and working in Bangkok. My desk was in an office next to a wall. There were workmen working in the next room. They were hammering, removing flooring and wall board. I went home one night and I was...

Mouth ulcers [ 4 Answers ]

Hi can anybody give advise on mouth ulcers.My 14 yr old daughter has been ill and now has 5 ulcers in her mouth I have been putting bonjela on them but they are still very sore.Is there any old remedies out there please...

Stomach ulcers [ 1 Answers ]

Are stomach ulcers caused by bacteria?

How 'life threatening' are ulcers [ 2 Answers ]

I have had an ulcer since I was 14 I am now 18 years old. My ulcer is obvousily getting worse over there years. For a couple weeks, ill throw up blood and then it'll just stop but I still have pain in my stomach each and everyday. None of the medicane had helped. I just want to know how 'life...

View more questions Search