Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

May 15, 2009, 01:19 PM
    Code for basic fire protection for garage/house shared wall
    Can someone refer me to a source (website) explaining why code requires interior walls to be 1/2" drywall (taped) but a garage/house shared wall must be 5/8"? I know it has to do with the time is takes for fire to breach the wall. I'd just like to see the numbers.

I am looking at a product called Blazeguard to do the interior walls of a garage. It has a class A fire rating, but I don't know if that is adequate for the shared wall, or if I need to put a layer of drywall under it.

Thanks,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 18, 2009, 11:12 AM

Your most accurate resource will be your local building department. Codes vary from town to town but 5/8" minimum is poretty standard. You do not need to use 5/8 or Blazegaurd on the non shared wall between the gargae and the living space. http://pabcogypsum.paccoast.com/TechData/GA-610-02b.pdf

May 19, 2009, 06:26 AM
    Thanks for the response

I like the idea of the Blazeguard. Even though it is expensive, once it goes up its up, and the job is done in the garage. No taping, etc. It would be nice if it could replace the 5/8 on the shared wall, but I'm not finding information to support that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2009, 07:19 AM

Blazeguard has some really nice pictures and advertising but if you are worried about safety standard 5/8 drywall is all that is required. For the cost of buying the Blazeguard you can pay a drywall pro to hang and tape the 5/8" and even prime it. You can buy whatever you feel is right for your home and wallet but I think Blazeguard is not cost effective for a home/garage common wall.

May 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    ...if you are worried about safety standard 5/8 drywall is all that is required....
    That is my main concern, for sure

I appreciate your viewpoint

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire protection - sprinkler system [ 2 Answers ]

Will any one can help me out to find the procedure to calculate the water demand for the mixed hazards of ordinary and light hazards with 6 risers in a 3 towers. How many stand pipes I have to consider and as per nfpa calculation if you can give me answer I will be thankful to you Regards Pvs

Water/damp in new house to garage wall. [ 7 Answers ]

Our house is just about complete, at the trim and flooring stage. We have just noticed dampness/water coming from a couple of garage receptacles that are on the house side wall. Assuming it was a plumbing leak I cut a section of drywall out. We have a 2x6 wall with R20 insulation, then a 3/4" foil...

Water pumps home fire protection [ 6 Answers ]

I want to buy a water pump for home fire protection. Can you hook a 3/4 inch garden hose to a pump with a 2 inch discharge diameter without hurting the pump, the hose, or changing the pressure too much. Yrs, Elrod

How to set the basic spam mail protection [ 1 Answers ]

How to setup the mail server (by using sendmail) with basic spam mail protection. At least enable the sender DNS reverse lookup feature. The mail server is running Linux. Please help! Thks.

View more questions Search