Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadykorn Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 05:52 PM
    How bad is it coming off suboxone
    After being on suboxone for months at 2-3 mg a day how bad will it be coming off it , if you wean down over few weeks slowly ?
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

May 15, 2009, 08:56 AM

If you decide to taper down and get off, you will feel some withdrawal discomfort. The longer the tapering down period, the easier the transition should be, and a 30 week taper is often recommended. When you do finally jump off completely though, you will likely feel some withdrawal.
    Withdawal syptoms include- pains, sweating, headache, nausea, insomnia, anxiety.
    Good luck!

May 15, 2009, 11:27 AM

So should I start maybe going from 2 to 1.5 mg then 1 to .5
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

May 15, 2009, 01:48 PM

I don't know. I just found that info online. You should have a doctor tell you how to taper off.

May 15, 2009, 02:25 PM

Oh so you have no experience with subox?
    LeeLa120 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 07:43 PM

To Shadykorn:
    Taper down like u said and u should be fine. U might have some light symptoms, sweating, joint pain, but nothing too severe. Besides 2-3 mg a day is really not much at all. Usually people are on the 8 mg pills 2-3 times a day. Did u have the smaller 2 mg pills? If that's the case, u will be okay doing exactly what u said. I've had experience with coming off suboxone and at a higher dose.

May 16, 2009, 05:28 AM

How slowly should I taper
    doesntwantit26 Posts: 29, Reputation: -3
    -

Jun 14, 2009, 05:12 AM

I agree with megan 2345. I am also on suboxone and am coming down from three eight milligram pills a day. My doctor is taking me down two milligrams a month as long as I'm comfortable with that. She says that normally it will take a year or more to get off it. It has been three months I am now down to twenty milligrams, from twenty four. However suboxone withdrawl is only about one tenth of a heroin withdrawl. But everyone's body is different and the way they react to things are different. So what might not be anything to me might be very painful for you. I hope this helped somewhat. I have been on suboxone for over a year if you have any questions fell free to ask me. If I know the answer and can help you I will, or I will try to get the answer for you.

Jun 14, 2009, 05:59 AM

My friend is coming off 16 mg He is down to 12 , he is going down 2 mg a week
    Doctor told him to...
    I find when I take less than 2 mg a day I feel very irtritabnle
    I also use it kind of like an anti depressant
    I miss smokin POt
    DickDarringer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 07:10 PM
    Especially for pharmeceutical and drug addiction advice, if you're not experienced with it, (yeah, even if you ARE a doctor), you should just keep your stupid mouth shut. "Uhhh I read on the web that it's bad but blah blah I know what I'm talking about".. is like a plumber hired to do computer programming. You just don't do it. Think, megan you idiot, you could have given some advice on something you "read" and could have killed someone.
    Next time, you your fukin brain before you open your idiot mouth.
    But I came straight from 16mg to 12, then from 12 to 8 all this in a month. Then I went form 8 to 4 all at once, and didn't even experience withdrawal. In fact it was the first time I've slept proper in ages. I'm still on 4.
    "Waaah waahh I wanna answer questions so I can be a more respected member." Btch, cutting and pasting never did anyone any good except for their own research.
    DickDarringer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 07:10 PM
    Especially for pharmeceutical and drug addiction advice, if you're not experienced with it, (yeah, even if you ARE a doctor), you should just keep your stupid mouth shut. "Uhhh I read on the web that it's bad but blah blah I know what I'm talking about".. is like a plumber hired to do computer programming. You just don't do it. Think, megan you idiot, you could have given some advice on something you "read" and could have killed someone.
    Next time, you your fukin brain before you open your idiot mouth.
    But I came straight from 16mg to 12, then from 12 to 8 all this in a month. Then I went form 8 to 4 all at once, and didn't even experience withdrawal. In fact it was the first time I've slept proper in ages. I'm still on 4.
    "Waaah waahh I wanna answer questions so I can be a more respected member." Btch, cutting and pasting never did anyone any good except for their own research.
    EricaS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 01:31 PM
    Hi everybody I just started Suboxone last week and still feel pretty sick as my doc is working out the right dose. Currently taking 14 from 16 mgs daily. Had a relapse on Morphine last Wednesday, did not take Suboxone that day and felt I would die last Friday through this past Monday. Never will do that again. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's info. I do want to get off Suboxone asap, working with my doctor to do so. I've always heard it was very difficult to get off completely even at lower doses. Hoping when the time does come at the end, maybe my doc will give me a benzo, clonidine, and bentyl just for a few days to ease the discomfort. This is what I took for 3 days before starting the induction process. I'm really scared though. When I had the Morphine and Suboxone in my system (stupid, stupid me!! ) I did call the pharmaceutical company. Rennick Benkieser (spelling?) to speak to a nurse. Dealing with one's doctor is of course the best thing to do but at least there was an RN I could speak to. Fortunately when I saw my doc this past Monday he was much more compassionate than I was on myself. Just wish I had had the guts to have called him certainly before or even after my blunder. I wish all of you much success and hope. By the way I go by the name of Erica.
    suziqxoxo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 07:08 AM
    Hi, I was on oxy 180mg a day for pain, along w/ norco for breakthrough pain. My accident happeden in 2001 I broke a few vertibrae in my back. Well 2 weeks ago I got off the oxy, and N and was put on suboxone by my choice... But it is so f'n hard right now... I went form 8mg2d then 6mg 2d, then 4mg 2d, 2mg 2d,1mg 2d .50mg 2d then.25 1 day then adivan1 day , then .25 1 day then adivan for 2 days, then .25 for 1 day, then adivan for 3days,. but this hurts... I have a 2o month old baby I feel like just taking crumbs to feel better
    lyndalee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Wow, that dickdarringer guy is a nasty , isn't he?
    lyndalee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 04:59 PM

Why does ydarringer have to be such a nasty .
    april7611 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
    I was on methadone for 2 years due to being addicted before I knew it to pain pills,Then I came down to 35mg of methadone stopped it cold turkey for 3 days until I was in full withdrawals and then was put on 8 mg of suboxone 3 x a day.. I slowly started to come down to to a 8 mg a day,Now I take about 1 to 1 in a half 8 mg tabs a day.. Doing all this within a couple months time.. My biggest problem is if I take 1 8mg tab in am or a half by 9pm I'm starting to have numbness feelings in my legs.. So everyone's body is different,and you also have to be in the right mind set.. My only advice is not to take advice of others on the internet if I had listened to everyone on here id be totally screwed.. This is a good place to come to hear othes stories but no one has the same story.body.ect
    Best to just stick to the professionals on this...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weening off Suboxone [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is a recovering Heroin addict and taking suboxone for 6 months now. I've heard bad stories about coming off suboxone with bad withdraws and doctors saying they should be on it the rest of their life. He does not want to take suboxone for the rest of his life. How can someone come off...

Suboxone works well for pain too [ 7 Answers ]

My husband has been on loritabs and morphine his medicine was late one time so he started to detox so I took him and got some suboxone it worked well the thing is though It stopped his real bad pain I told the doctor they say it is not for pain so we see a drug reform...

Suboxone Doctor's scam in MA [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone, If you clicked on this link you or a loved one must have the same questions as I do about Doctors only excepting cash for Suboxone treatment.. First off, I have Mass Health insurance wich refers you to these doctors... The insurance company pays for the office visit 100% and...

Alternate to suboxone? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 60 years old. I was on oxy (percocet) for years until I retired from drywall construction. I am now on suboxone, but every time I stop taking it, I feel like death. It's much, much worse than stopping the oxycodone. I now live in Costa Rica, which has no suboxone anywhere. I get mine off the...

View more questions Search