Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

May 13, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Changing blood pressure meds
    Following a nuclear test, my heart doctor didn't like the blood pressure meds I've been taking for past 10 years (clonidine/terazosin) and prescribed a different one - atenalol 25mg.
    But he was not clear about HOW I should make the switch which I have not done yet.
    Do I suddenly stop clonidine and begin the atenalol? OR, do I gradually reduce the Clonidine? Do I continue the terazosin (diuretic) with the atenalol or JUST take the atenalol? Is there a specific method known in doing this changeover procedure?
    Any advice would be appreciated because I don't want to do the wrong thing.
    Thanks
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 13, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Call your doctor and ask him. That is a minimal dose of atenolol so an immediate switch probably wouldn't cause any problems, but you are paying your doctor good money to answer this kind of question.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 01:15 PM

Based on this info:

http://bidocs.boehringer-ingelheim.c...tapresTabs.pdf

The half life is about 16 hrs and therefore Clonidine will be gone in 5 times that. Note that they recommend adjustments in weeky intervals.

I seriously doubt the diuretic will be problem to stop immediately.

Atenol is a very rapid acting drug whose effects last for 24 hours.

http://www1.astrazeneca-us.com/pi/tenormin.pdf

It would make sense to ask. It would be nice to have a BP meter at home. You can raise your own blood pressure by drinking more fluids.

If it were me based on what I just read. I'd drop the current regimn for 2 days before starting the new drug. I'd monitor blood pressure along the way and drink more fluids if it tends to head up to an unsafe level.

You can think of it this way. Low blood pressure is an immediate problem and high blood pressure is a transient problem. You can raise your own BP by increasing fluids. Do the medicaton adjustments where the peak action of the med will be during the waking hours. You can change later.

It's wise to check with your doctor.
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

May 13, 2009, 01:28 PM
    If it were me based on what I just read. I'd drop the current regimn for 2 days before starting the new drug. I'd monitor blood pressure along the way and drink more fluids if it tends to head up to an unsafe level.

You can think of it this way. Low blood pressure is an immediate problem and high blood pressure is a transient problem. You can raise your own BP by increasing fluids. Do the medicaton adjustments where the peak action of the med will be during the waking hours. You can change later.
    -

May 13, 2009, 02:42 PM
    My Authoritative Source, Costco Pharmacy sells atenolol in 25mg, 50 mg and 100mg sizes. Can't get much more authoritative than Costco!
    -

May 13, 2009, 08:01 PM
    One more thought that occurred to me - this one on cost. Atenolol is relatively cheap (unlike the brand name Tenormin). It typically costs less than your insurance co-pay. But, for even better savings (This applies to Costco; I don't know what other pharmacies might do the same thing), get your doctor to write the prescription for quantity 100. For the 25mg size, Costco charges $5.69 for 30; $6.40 for 50; and $8.32 for 100. So dealing in quantities of 100 (I have mine write it for x3 refills to cover a year) you get over 3 months worth for $8.32. I expect prices at different stores vary slightly, but probably not a whole lot. This works for some other medications also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood pressure flare up even with meds [ 2 Answers ]

THough I am on medication for high blood pressure, every once in a while it flares up and gets out of control, despite my meds. This morning systolic was 165, diastolic 95. I can usually tell when it's that level even without looking at monitor. Usually it stays below 120 with meds. What could it...

Type of meds 2 help kick pain meds. [ 5 Answers ]

I was told there are medications to help kick pain pill addiction. PLEASE if anyone knows the names of them whether meds or a supplement let me know.

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Im Julia My queston is, My bp is out of controal its 199/120 right now and I take 12 bp meds a day . Can anyone help before I have a stroke:eek: :eek:

View more questions Search