Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stuckinacreditproblem Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Talk to a Collection Agency- NEED HELP PLEASE!!
    Hello,

I just got a disturbing phone call today about a debit that my mother owes, its for 20000.00 and it totally slip her head because she just recently was in the hospital for cancer treatment, well anyway, talk with the collection agency and they said they wanted to settle before they sue, but we don't have a clue as to how to get that type of money to pay for that amount that they ask for, it's a nice settlement though, they want 60% total, she doesn't own anything except a house which she is still trying to pay off, what can we do, please do help!! :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 04:22 PM
    What income does she have,? Social security ?
    How about money in the bank.

So tell them to sue and not to bother you on the phone again about it.
    What ever you do, don't YOU promice to pay them, do not obligate yourself to a debt of another.

The worst they can do is sue, get a judgement and then attach any bank account she has and perhaps but very doubtful put a lien on the home that they would have to wait for it to sell to get their money.

So don't get upset collection people are jerks and will lie to you very often about what they will do. If this is the first you have heard from the collection agency they will not sue right way, they will send letters and more calls and more letters for months, perhaps even sell it off to someone else.

They won't waste the money to sue a person who does not have anything to get or a job to garnish ( normally) And depending on what type of debt this is, no 60 percent is very high, if it is credit card debt look more at 40 percent if the debt is old enough, often medical debt can be done for less than that. I get about 20 percent off every doctor bill before I pay it, just by asking them for a discout and these are not even late bills.

Sep 27, 2006, 04:31 PM
    FR Chuck

So your saying 60% of what she owes is still very high? Also, I know that she has an IRA Retirement account, they wouldn't try to take anything off that, would they? As for the house, I think she only has a few months left to pay off and then technically it is hers, would they put a lien on it, and if they did, could they make her sell it, please advise, thanks!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2006, 01:28 PM
    First, its your mom's debt NOT yours, so I agree with Chuck that YOU don't agree to pay anything.

Second, you need to ask mom what this debt is about and whether its valid or not. Sorry, but a $20K debt doesn't slip one's mind unless you are rich enough not to worry about $20K.

Third, I don't believe they can touch the IRA, and it depends on the type of debt as to whether they can put a lien on the house. But unless the debt was secured by the house, they can't force a sell.

Sep 28, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Thanks for the post ScottGem, the type of debt is from an old credit card, and I guess it wasn't that much at first, its just because of all the damn interest that it has gotten that high, but as for what I haven seen on other post, I take it that can't really put a lien on the house unless they sue, and then I take it they usually won't push for forecloser unless needed... please advise and thanks for the tip!!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2006, 01:51 PM
    You must have the DebtCollector verifiy that the debt is valid.
    Age of the debt, is the SOL up, etc.
    cleaningcredit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinacreditproblem
    Hello,

i just got a disturbing phone call today about a debit that my mother owes, its for 20000.00 and it totally slip her head because she just recently was in the hospital for cancer treatment, well anyways, talk with the collection agency and they said they wanted to settle before they sue, but we dont have a clue as to how to get that type of money to pay for that amount that they ask for, its a nice settlement though, they want 60% total, she doesnt own anything except a house which she is still trying to pay off, what can we do, please do help!!!!! :(
    You need to first vist this website debt consolidation credit counseling free credit reports you'll know everything about credit they will give you step by step procedures in validating a debt, second Never,never, never speak with a collection agency over the phone. Always submit conversations in writing.

Before they can collect on a debt the collection agency must validate the debt.
    They must do this in the following manner.

1. They must display how they determine the amount owed.
    2. They must provide you with POP. (proof of purchase)
    3. They must prove the statue of limitation are not up on this account.
    4. They must prove they are able to collect in the state you are in.

Collections agency purchase debt for pennies on the dollar. Believe me if your mother owed this kind of money and they were able to establish this in a court of law there would be no need of them to negotiate with you, they would send her notice and take you to court immediate

Read through this website debt consolidation credit counseling free credit reports you'll know everything about credit - Knowledge is power.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency Statute of Limitations [ 15 Answers ]

I received a call out of the blue from a collection agency looking to collect on a loan I defaulted on and never repaid. This loan has since been removed from my credit record due to our local Statute of Limitations (6 years). Can this collection agency still collect? Are they still within...

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Collection Agency refusing payments in IL. [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 508.00 bill with my ob/gyn from the delivery of my baby (3rd) in April. Since I pay 1k a month for childcare now and didn't have paid maternity leave other than the 2 weeks of vacation/sick time. Money has been extremely extremely tight and I have not had an extra 508.00 to pay it off...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

Collection agency refuses payment [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to clear up 3 charges on my credit report. Had a very difficult year. Moved three times did not keep up with existing bills. I pulled credit report. Contacted 2 creditors, both in collections, both sending info and were more than happy that I wanted to make arrangements. Third one,...

View more questions Search