Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darkandlovely Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 07:20 PM
    How do I legally change my child's last name?
    How do I legally change my child's last name without an attorney ?
    Can I legally change my child's last name on my own by making the proper forms and submitting them to the courthouse ?
    If my child was born in Florida and we now reside in Texas, do I submit the forms at the courthouse in Florida or Texas ?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 09:10 AM

First things first: is there a father listed on the birth certificate? Is there any type of custodial agreement in place which may allow him to have a say in the name change?

May 13, 2009, 02:57 PM

No, my ex husband doesn't brother to have any contact with our son at all.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 03:14 PM

Just because he doesn't have contact doesn't mean that he has no rights. What does your divorce agreement say about custody?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2009, 03:34 PM

If his name is on t he birth certificate you will need to get his permission or show a good faith effort to if you want the court to allow the change.

Go to your local Family Court and ask what the process is.

May 13, 2009, 09:42 PM
    He didn't appear for court for the divorce. I have sole custody of our son and his father didn't sign the birth certificate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2009, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by darkandlovely View Post
    his father didn't sign the birth certificate.
    Doesn't matter whether he signed it or not. If he is listed as the father, he has give permission. If you think he will not show up in court, then serve him with a summons notifying him that you are petitioning for the name change. If he does not show up to protest the judge will grant your motion by default.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change my child's last name [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old daughter who has her biological father's last name, although he did not sign the birth certificate no acknowledge paternity in the courts. He does not nor has he ever paid any child support. He has no contact what so ever with her. The only father she knows is my new husband...

Child's name change [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change my toddlers last name to mine in Indiana? Her father and I were never married. He does see her and pay child support pretty regularly. I am the custodial parent.

How to Change child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

My son was born 5 years ago. His father wasn't there to sign the birth certificate. How can I change my son's last name to my married name and have my ex to sign over his rights? He doesn't see our son and our son has said on a number of times he doesn't want to see his biological father anymore....

View more questions Search