Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ashamed2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 03:29 PM
    Caught Shoplifting in Laval, Quebec
    Hi, I stumbled onto this site a week ago and I have found it such a wonderful resource. I am 30 years old and I was caught shoplifting from Simons. I am not going to make any excuses for my actions, it was stupid and I should know better. I had 3 items worth about $600. The cops were called and I now that I am supposed to receive a letter from the Store for civil claims and another from the Court for a trial date. At the moment I am going nuts with worry, this is my first offence. I've been looking at some of the old postings but couldn't find any from Quebec. Is there anyone on this forum from Quebec that can share with me their experience good or bad? How can I proactively make sure that I can get into the diversion program? Should I wait until I get contacted before I do something? The cops told me that I may not be contacted till about 6 months; while the Simons security guard said I'll hear from them in about a month. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom you may have.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 12, 2009, 04:50 PM

I'm sure someone will give you an answer shortly. I don't live in Canada, but I find it a little hard to believe a beginner shoplifter would start stealing $600 merchandise. This might be the first time you got caught, but I think you know better and the court will suspect the same. For that reason you might not qualify for diversion. If you don't get diversion you are going to need a lawyer. I could be wrong.
    LEGALWIZARD Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 07:43 PM
    One possibility is that you can request disclosure from the police to obtain all the information the police have pertaining to your offence. You can thereupon contact the crown prosecutor via phone, in person, or by letter and request that since it is your first offence of theft under $5,000 that you be dealt with through the diversion program. (a legal representative can do this for you, or you can do it yourself if you do not intend to seek the services of a lawyer or agent).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2009, 08:15 PM

The store will have charges for you, to compensate them for their time and trouble, that can be 250 to 500 dollars from many stores, So you get their letter and pay them the money

You will get a date to photo and finger print first normally, I would recommend an attorney and get into a diversion program, but at worst probation normally
    curiouscandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2011, 03:00 AM
    Hi, I am curious to know what was the outcome of your situation as my sister is in a similar situation. She too was caught shoplifting at a Simon's store. Did the store send you a fine? And if so how much? Have you managed to get in the diversion program?
    Thank you for your help and good luck!
    designtoyou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 07:59 PM
    What was the out come of your sister?
    designtoyou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 08:01 PM
    Let us know the outcome of your situation please
    wdiday Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
    Similar situation with my friend. Please advise. Thanks
    1KKK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscandy View Post
    Hi, I am curious to know what was the outcome of your situation as my sister is in a similar situation. She too was caught shoplifting at a Simon's store. Did the store send you a fine? And if so how much? Have you managed to get in the diversion program?
    Thank you for your help and good luck!
    Hi please please please tell me how did it go for you with this problem? Did you get letter from government? Did you pay the store's fine? Please let me know would be greatly appreciated, sick with worry... thanks
    1KKK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Hi please please please tell me how did it go for you with this problem?did you get letter from government (court)? Did you pay the store's fine? Please let me know would be greatly appreciated, sick with worry... thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught shoplifting [ 7 Answers ]

Advice needed me and wife caught shoplifting at a Retail store a month back LP took us to office and called police over the phone for record it was clean, they said we will be released after paperwork stuff was valued around $25 no police came on scene given a ban of 6 months from store also...

Caught Shoplifting [ 7 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting at the Bay about two months ago. When caught I admitted my guilt and was brought to the security room. Soon an officer arrived and I was arrested for shoplifting, but due to my admittance of guilt and it was my first transgression no charges were laid. A civil recovery...

Got caught shoplifting now I don't know who to contact [ 2 Answers ]

So a few months back I was caught shoplifting (bottle of cologne). The security guard told me that I could either pay some company the fee for the item or take the matter to court, obviously I just wanted to pay and get it all over with. I did receive the bill from them but I lost it. Now I don't...

Shoplifting caught. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I feel terrible, I've never done anything like this before, I just got greedy and chose not to pay for some items that amounted to 47$ and now I'm banned from the store and I'm getting a summons. I just turned 18 and the person taking care of the incident told me that if I had gone over 50$...

After Being Caught Shoplifting [ 4 Answers ]

Im 17 yrs old, and my sister is 12. We live in Queen Anne's County, which is located in Maryland. We were caught shoplifting in our local Kmart, and they had said that they saw me blocking my younger sister while she unwrapped everything and put it into her purse, it was true, and we admitted to it...

View more questions Search