Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadykorn Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Why pay for online warrant check when you can just go to local courthouse and ask if
    You have warrants ? If you want to know if you have a arrest warrant out can't you just go to courthouse and ask them to run your name ? Someone told me that they might not have it in their computers so you either have to go to police startion and ask them to do it or else pay for a online check...
    Can someone please explain this to me ? Is it public knowledge to know if you have warrants out for you ? Also when you get pulled over for traffic stops , do cops run warrant checks on you then , or only if they have reason to
    daddysgirl86 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

May 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
    If you have a county warrant you can call the local court house they will be able to tell you, but if you have city warrants sometime the court house is not able to tell you. So you will have to call the local police station. You can not call and ask about any one else just your self. They will not give out anyone elses information.

When you get pulled over, even if it is a minor pull over like one of your lights is out... They will run your name. If you have a warrant they Will take you in...
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 12, 2009, 01:24 PM

This is how you do it where I live: If you want to find out if you have a warrant for any reason or if you need a NCIC background check done for any reason you would go to the Sheriff's office which is located IN the jail which is located right behind the courthouse. You would hand an officer at the reception desk your driver's license and ask them to run a check on you for ____________ (whatever it is you are checking). They take your license, run you through the computer and come back and tell you what a good citizen you are (in my case), and to keep up the good work. I think there is a small charge for this, I don't think it is free (it has been a while since I've done that).

Also when you get pulled over for traffic stops, it just depends on the situation and the cops. Always be prepared to be arrested during a traffic stop if you have a warrant, even if you are just a passenger, because depending on the cop and the situation, the cop might want an ID on everyone in the car.

May 12, 2009, 03:24 PM

I know it would be in my county if I had one so I went to the township courthouse and they ran my name and said nothing came up... so there's no need to go to police station to check , right? And what are these online checks that you pay for, are they reliable

May 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
    But if someone was on probation , their officer would already know if they had warrants , right
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 08:39 PM

The probation officers regularly run their probationer's names into the NCIC computer. They do this in between their donut breaks for amusement.

And no, you cannot just call up and find out if anyone has a warrant. Most police depts will not divulge any information over the phone as they want to protect themselves when they go out and serve the warrant in the middle of the night on the wanted person.

Most times the court clerk will not give out the information regarding warrants either for the same reason.

The only way to find out if you have a warrant would be to go in person with ID to the sheriff's office and ask but be prepared to be instantly arrested if you are wanted anywhere.

Also, most if not all traffic stops come with a warrant check whether you are the driver or passenger. Many times the officer gets "lucky" on traffic stops and nabs a wanted person.

May 13, 2009, 03:09 AM

Someone else said that probatino officers might not even bother checking NCIC if they are lazy and that when you get pulled over they only look you up if they had a reason.. I don't know who to believe

May 13, 2009, 03:10 AM
    And what do they have these online warrant checks you pay for then if it isn't public info ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 03:51 AM

If you have a city warrant for perhaps a traffic ticket, it often is not in the NCIC system.

Police officers as a regular basis run NCIC checks on anyone they stop for a traffic offense ( main way people are caught)

If they run it, and perhaps the system is down, it was normally down 2 or 3 times a day back when I was a officer for short times.

Almost all warrants are placed on the National Data Base, it is just standard procedure.

Many if not most of the pay sites are not 100 percent, so they will shown none when there really is one.
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 03:52 AM
    The pay site accesses lots of court data, but they can not by law access NCIC records, In fact if a police officer looked it up "unofficially" they could be fired for doing it

May 13, 2009, 12:16 PM

So basically the PO would know if I had warrants... he probably has checked someitme in the last few months ?

May 13, 2009, 12:17 PM
    And it's a bad idea to go to police station and ask , being on probation , and the courthuose wouldn't have seen even if it was in their township, And there's no point in wasting money in online check.
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 12:30 PM

I know when I was a PO we did checks maybe once a year or a few weeks before they got off probation.

May 13, 2009, 01:06 PM

But wouldn't a PO be notified by cops if they put out warrant for someone and knew the person was on probation ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 01:35 PM

How many times do you intend to post this question and in how many ways? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...ns-350667.html

These thread should be combined - OP is wasting everybody's time and apparently doesn't understand the answers he has already received.

Time to close it down, moderators - please.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 13, 2009, 03:05 PM

I like his name though... ;)

I'm not sure why he can't figure out how to put this matter to rest for himself!

May 13, 2009, 03:33 PM

Because no one makes it clear!! You say only way to find out if you have warrants is to go to police station...

May 13, 2009, 03:34 PM
    But it doesn't make sense why they wouldn't see it if they ran your name at the courthouse

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Warrant check? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out if someone has a warrant out for them?

Warrant Status Check [ 3 Answers ]

I am doing some background investigation on a guy I am dating and a charge for OFF THEFT_500 came up in the dallas county. I can't tell if the charge was dismissed or not or if he ever showed up to court at all. It has B080 Original_Warrant_Issued_$500.00_C/S_REQ ________ A 060906 01 on the...

Warrant check for passports? [ 3 Answers ]

My ex was arrested for domestic assault against me and for then going after my son, thus him being my ex. He was released ROR :eek: , failed to appear, was picked up again, paid bail and did not appear again. This was over 10 years ago. I recently ran into his cousin. She despises him pretty...

Local programs online [ 1 Answers ]

Why does "localdisk (c)" appear in my AOL address bar

Fradulent Check Warrant [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently sent a letter dated June 25, 2007 from the Lexington County Sheriff's Dept located in South Carolina stating a request to appear in court to show proof of restitution that a check I wrote April 6, 1999 to a Bi-Lo Store in the amount of $37.24 has been made. Otherwise, I will be...

View more questions Search