Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donnakays Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Being sued for car loan
    My credit report stinks due to medical bills and a car I quit paying on 3 years ago. Car quit running, don't know what happened to it. Someone just served my grandmother a Summons for me on this old car debt for 12,000 plus late fees and attornery fees. My grandmother told them she didn't know where I lived but they handed her the summons which she gave to my mom. Should I file bankruptcy, I don't own or have anything. How long is a judgment good for in California?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Judgements last a long time. There is a shorted limit on how long they have to obtain the judgement, but once obtains, they can go after you for a while.

Whenter you should file for bankruptcy or not can be a complex issue that you are better off discussing with a bankruptcy attorney.
    donnakays Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 11:01 AM
    I really don't have any money to file for bankruptcy. I am going to start a job on Monday making very little. How do they find out where you work to attach wages.

Sep 27, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Any number of ways. That's how skip tracers make their living.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Hello donna:

Well, of course you could go underground - work for cash - don't file taxes, etc. They can't collect a judgment on a person like that. But, if you do, be prepared to do it for a long time. If you avoid going to court, they'll have license to pick your pocket anytime you decide NOT to be underground anymore.

Sure, they're suing for $12k, and you're going to lose, that's for sure, but if you show up, and produce evidence that the car is only worth $1,500 (Kelly Blue Book), then you'll only have to pay $1,500. Or, even better - if you actually talk to them, you may be able to negotiate an even better deal.

But, if you ignore it, you're going to get screwed.

excon

Sep 27, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    but if you show up, and produce evidence that the car is only worth $1,500 (Kelly Blue Book), then you'll only have to pay $1,500.
    I disagree with this. If you take a loan out for $12K, the finance company doesn't give a hoot what the car is worth. If you were foolish enough to pay that much for the car then that's what you owe. Going into court with proof the car was worth less that the loan balance won't get you very far.

But neither will hiding and running.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 09:55 AM
    You may need to file for bankruptcy if you want to get out of this pending judgement. Have they repossessed the car? If not, why not? Ultimately, if you truly have nothing or no assets then they're trying to get blood out of a stone but this could pursue and haunt you for years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife got sued [ 1 Answers ]

My wife got sued by Asset Acceptance Management LLC she never got served papers so she didn't know about a court date until a final judgement was put against her. I don't know what to do I was out of work 6 months had to take a low paying job am in loss mitigation with the mortgage company. My...

Can I get sued... again? [ 7 Answers ]

I rented from a man while in my junior year of college in PA who turned out to be a slum through ReMax. The house was a typical college house that was filthy, and damaged, and placed anywhere outside of a college setting would have been condemned. After some damages (which we repaired) We...

I'm being sued,what will they get? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Pa. I am being sued for rear ending someone and will most likely have a judgement put against me. This insurance was in my husbands name. Can his car be taken if we are no longer living together but still legally married.my wages cannot be garnished because they are so low. Can his...

How many times have you been sued? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hopping that someone can help me with this. I am trying to find out how many times a public company has been sued (e.g. Walmart, FCUK, McDonalds) Is there any website or place I can go to check into this fact? Thanks.

If you're Sued. [ 4 Answers ]

If a credit card company sues you ,what can they get? I mean can they garnish your wages, or cause you to lose your house, or have you thrown in jail. I have heard these rumors.

View more questions Search