Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rentedog Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 04:00 PM
    I found a summons tapped to my front door.
    Hello
    I have received (tapped to my front door) a summons asking me to take the summons and go to a civil court. The summon is brought on by debt collector.

Please advice me on what to do exactly.
    Should I hire a lawyer?
    Should I go to court and represent myself?

I am being perused due to ID theft. I received a CC statement from a bank asking for $500
    Amount due. When I called them to find out what this all about they said the card was used on eBay. When I asked for more details ( what was bought, from whom ,and to whom the transaction took place ) they couldn't provide with any details because they didn't have it.
    I refused to pay it and filed a fraud claim with bank the same week I received the statement from them. The bank after investigating the fraud claim has reject it and kept on calling since me since 2005.
    Now the case been sold to a debt collector.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 07:01 PM

Some of the issues

Did you file a police report on it?

Do you have all the copies of fraud reports with the bank.

You will take your reports to the police, and the reports to the bank, and your letters to the CC company showing you denied the claim.

I would have course personally hire an attorney
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2009, 07:07 PM

File an answer to the summons stating your Intent to defend. This will get you a hearing. Send a copy of the Intent to Defend to the plaintiff with your request for verification of the debt.

At the hearing you present your proof of ID theft and let the judge rule.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 12, 2009, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rentedog View Post
    Hello
    I have received (tapped to my front door) a summons asking me to take the summons and go to a civil court. The summon is brought on by debt collector. ....
    What jurisdiction is this? In most areas, taping it to your door is not considered valid service.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What jurisdiction is this? In most areas, taping it to your door is not considered valid service.

I'm sure it's nail and mail - I am not aware of a State where this form of substitute service is not allowed. My process servers do this all the time. It's not a one time "No one is here so I'm going to nail this" process.

If OP does not think it is valid service he/she needs to go to the Courthouse and check the Affidavit of Service.

May 12, 2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks to all for your help and responses.
    After reading what you wrote I have concluded to fill an intent to defend form with some additions form different places.

Please inform me if its an appropriate letter of intent to defend letter?

Should it be sent to both court and plaintiff?

Thanks again

Civil court of the state of New York
    Kings County
    Plaintiff: XXXXXXXXXX
    DEFENDANT:XXXXXXXXX
    Index Number
    C&S File NO.XXXXXX

NOTICE OF INTEND TO DEFEND

I, XXXXXXXXX hereby give Notice of Intent to defend the above titled case, and Demand strict proof of the alleged claim.Wherefore, premises considered, I deny any liablity to the plaintiff for the amount demanded, and I, the defendant demands strict proof of the debt from the plaintiff.
    I Also issue a interrogatories and requests for production from the plaintiff.
    Interrogatory No. 1: Please describe in detail the exact amount you claim the defendant owes.

REQUEST FOR JUDICIAL NOTICE
    Defendants who are unschooled in the law and ask that the court take
    Judicial Notice of the enunciation of principles as stated in "Haines v. Kerner,
    404 U.S . 519," wherein the court has directed that those who are
    Unschooled in law making pleadings and/or complaints shall have the court
    Look to the substance of the pleadings rather than the form, and also hereby
    Makes the attached memorandum, including the related documents attached
    Herewith, in the above-referenced case.Furthermore, Defendant's hereby
    Requests the judge notify them of any sua sponte,rights or remedies they
    May overlook.

-----------------------------
    Defendant
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 12, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Have you asked the credit card company to provide you with a copy of the original application that was filled out? This is proof or not that you did or did not apply for the credit card.

May 12, 2009, 05:15 PM

No I haven't asked them for that.
    At this time and point of the case ,would they respond to inquiries and cooperate with me?

May 12, 2009, 05:42 PM

First don't try to write leagalese. The Haines vs Kerner cite is finem but you are asking the court to look at substance and then you try to write in legalese. Second, don't make demands to the court.

All you need to do is state your Intent to Defend. You then send a copy of that Intent to the plaintiff asking for verficiation of the debt.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 12, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm sure it's nail and mail - I am not aware of a State where this form of substitute service is not allowed. My process servers do this all the time. It's not a one time "No one is here so I'm going to nail this" process.

If OP does not think it is valid service he/she needs to go to the Courthouse and check the Affidavit of Service.
    FYI.. in California you have to serve it on the person you can't just leave it on the door or you can send through the mail with a disinterested party as witness. But normally service is personal.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 12:23 PM

This may have changed since I took the course but this is what I thought was California law: "If a copy of the summons and of the complaint cannot with reasonable diligence be personally delivered to the person to be served as specified in Section 416.60, 416.70, 416.80, or 416.90, a summons may be served by leaving a copy of the summons and of the complaint at such person's dwelling house, usual place of abode, usual place of business, or usual mailing address other than a United States Postal Service post office box, in the presence of a competent member of the household or a person apparently in charge of his or her office, place of business, or usual mailing address other than a United States Postal Service post office box, at least 18 years of age, who shall be informed of the contents thereof, and by thereafter mailing a copy of the summons and of the complaint (by first-class mail, postage prepaid) to the person to be served at the place where a copy of the summons and of the complaint were left. Service of a summons in this manner is deemed complete on the 10th day after the mailing. (Amended by Stats. 1989, Ch. 1416, Sec. 15.) "

May 13, 2009, 01:45 PM
    in the presence of a competent member of the household or a person apparently in charge of his or her office, place of business, or usual mailing address other than a United States Postal Service post office box, at least 18 years of age,
    But wouldn't the above mean it had to be left with someone, not just nailed/taped to the door?
    menlo101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 03:34 PM

- If you got the Summon then you'll have 30 days to answer to it. It's important that you file your answer to the summon at the court before the 30 days period. If not then the plaintiff will win the case with the default judgment.
    - The biggest advantage of getting a lawyer is that they know exactly and legally on how to deal with these debt collectors. They have high success rate on handling them. However, the lawyer will cost you.
    - The biggest advantage of representing yourself is that you will save money on the lawyer. However, you'll need time to learn a lot on the laws to deal with these collectors. If you screw up (i.e. missing the 30 days dead line) then they'll get the judgment against you and that judgment will stick with you for years and the collectors can legally garnish your wage. If you want to have a "crash course" on the laws then there are many nolo.com books that can ramp up your knowledge
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by menlo101 View Post
    - If you got the Summon then you'll have 30 days to answer to it. It's important that you file your answer to the summon at the court before the 30 days period. If not then the plaintiff will win the case with the default judgment.
    - The biggest advantage of getting a lawyer is that they know exactly and legally on how to deal with these debt collectors. They have high success rate on handling them. However, the lawyer will cost you.
    - The biggest advantage of representing yourself is that you will save money on the lawyer. However, you'll need time to learn a lot on the laws to deal with these collectors. If you screw up (i.e. missing the 30 days dead line) then they'll get the judgment against you and that judgment will stick with you for years and the collectors can legally garnish your wage. If you want to have a "crash course" on the laws then there are many nolo.com books that can ramp up your knowledge

Fascinating - doesn't answer the question but fascinating just the same.

Concerning service - put in a call to someone in California and am waiting for an answer. There HAS to be a means of serving if no one answers the door, ever. But on the other hand...

EDIT: Now THIS is frightening. My friend said he uses the nail on the door service ALL the time BUT he doesn't know what the law is. What? He said that it is very possible - and the same is true in NY - that the creditor counts on the debtor assuming it's legal service and showing up. So the question remains unanswered.

And CalifDad and Scott get points... and I lose points.

Again - there must be a way and I am continuing to research. In NY - as I've posted - it's 3 attempts and then nail. There HAS to be a way to serve in California. But what is it if no one answers?

On my way to PM Cadillac.

May 13, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by menlo101 View Post
    I have to disagree with the above 2 points. In many cases, these type of suits are processed through small claims courts. In that case a lawyer may not be allowed.

Also, the laws here are pretty simple. The plaintiff has to prove that the defendant borrowed the money and didn't pay it back. Unless they can prove that the case will be dismissed. Very often the original documents are unavailable and plaintiffs may not even show if the defendant challenges them to verify the debt.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 13, 2009, 03:51 PM

This has been my experience also.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 06:49 PM

I'll check this out tomorrow a little more at the office (I don't have copy of the Code of Civil Procedure at home), but substitute service is effected by leaving a copy of the summons and complaint with a member of the household over 18, or at the defendant's place of work. And with the proof of service, there's a declaration of due diligence that is required to be filed concurrently to demonstrate that personal service was attempted unsuccessfully once before the substituted service and there needs to be some statement that the sub. Service was in fact at the defendant's home or place of work. There is no such thing as a nailing the summons to the door. I've never heard of such a thing and that just sounds bizarre to me (it's hard for me to believe any state would even allow that and call it service of process-- what if the person is on vacation for 2 weeks, or moved away?--).

I think in landlord/tenant cases the 3 day or 30 day notice can be left at the door (maybe--I haven't done any landlord-tenant stuff in a few years), but I know you cannot serve papers in any civil or family law case by just leaving them at the door. If you cannot do sub. Service, then the next step is publication.

Of course, if the summons and complaint were left at the door the OP would be well-advised to check the court's file and see what the process server said about service (you can never be sure that what's stated on the POS is correct).

Having said all of this, I'm not too sure how much effort the OP wants to put into avoiding service. Even if the service in this case is defective (which it is) I imagine they are going to serve him sooner or later.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:06 PM

Nail and mail - as it's called - is legal in NY.

Curious to see what you find in California.

Thanks for your quick response.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 07:10 PM

I'm just going from memory but I'm about 99.99% sure that what I said was correct. I may update or confirm my response tomorrow.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 14, 2009, 05:22 PM

I assume you are referring to this statute (CVP - Civil Practice Law and Rules § 308
    ):

4. where service under paragraphs one and two cannot be made with due
    Diligence, by affixing the summons to the door of either the actual
    Place of business, dwelling place or usual place of abode within the
    State of the person to be served and by either mailing the summons to
    Such person at his or her last known residence or by mailing the summons
    By first class mail to the person to be served at his or her actual
    Place of business...
    I have never heard of "nail and mail" method of servce before you described it in this furum.

The Calif. Rule you quoted earlier in this thread would not be "nail an mail" as I understand your description of that method. Under the California language you quote, one would still have to leave it with "a competent member of the household or a person ...".

Quote Originally Posted by Rentedog
    No I haven't asked them for that.
    At this time and point of the case ,would they respond to inquiries and cooperate with me?
    Sorry, Rentedog, this question seems to have been lost in our discussion about service of process. What you need to do for this is to engage in "discovery". You would send them "interrogatories", and "requests for production" demanding that they answer specific questions and produce specified relevant documents. Or, if you choose, you can take a deposition of their records custodian or other agents and officers. If they ignore this you can ask the court for an order compelling them to answer, and if they don't obey the order you can get the court to hold them in contempt of court. There are specific court rules for how this is done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Door Knob in center of front door [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a resource for replacement parts for my specialty front door. The knob is located in the center of the door with a bird theme metal plate surrounding the knob - door is 35 7/8 wide - I would like to replace the knob - the hardware still works fine, I just need a compatible knob....

Painting front door [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all -- I have a "Stanley Composite Entry Door - Prestige series" that we are considering painting on the inside only. Aside from just testing it out on the door, does anyone have advice about whether the door will take paint, and/or look good painted?

Outlet @ front door [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have an outlet @ our front door and one switch is for the light on the front (closed in porch) and the one next to it we have no idea what it's for.There is outlets on the front porch but that's not for them either.We have no lamp post outfront either. Is their away I can find out what it...

Front door peeling [ 1 Answers ]

My front door clear coat is flaking it goes not receive a lot of sun light. The door is fiberglass and is stained. Any ideas how to fix this problem.

View more questions Search