Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pokerface5 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Hepititis B shot required
    I am currently in the medical field and I am about to start working at a hospital Thursday. They gave me the study guide of the hospital and it talked about Hepititis B and C. Hepititis C does not currently have a prevention shot for it but Hep B does so I was woundering if it's necessary for me to get the shot. The study guide said that I would be exposed but I'm not sure if I should just take my chances or not? I hate shots and have had bad experiences with them.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 10, 2009, 08:15 PM

When you work in a hospital you are exposed to a concentrated level of germs that cause disease. I would recommend taking all available precautions including any vaccines offered to minimize the chances of becoming sick from exposure to HBV. The pain and discomfort from a shot is usually a lot easier to recover from than if you come down with the actual illness. Some people find it helps to look the other way when they are getting a shot. Good luck.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 08:18 PM

If you are truly going to be in the hospital. You will have the highest risk of contact. If you do not get vaccinated then your putting yourself at risk along with others.

Vaccination for hep b is in three stages. Get ready for your shot, should have been a requirement before even starting in any hospital.

Even if your truly interested in the medical field they expect you to be vaccinated even before you start any courses, or expect you to start your vaccination process.

So sure take your chances if you want to die of Hep B. Do you want to risk that. Did not think so.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 09:59 PM
    Yes. If you are in the US you have to take the shot. No questions asked.
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 10:17 PM
    Let me also state that first you will have to have blood taken to determine if you have an immunity to Hep B. If not, then you will get a shot, then blood to find out if you are immune yet. If not, another shot until a series of 3 shots is complete and you have acquired immunity to Hep B. I speak from experience. I did NOT have immunity when I started working and had to go through all of this just to become immune.

May 11, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I was just wondering because I know the nurse said that I could refuse the shot but that I am at a high risk for hepititis, guess I just have to keep really good hygine
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface5 View Post
    I was just wondering because i know the nurse said that i could refuse the shot but that i am at a high risk for hepititis, guess i just have to keep really good hygine
    Now that's just being stupid.

May 11, 2009, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Now that's just being stupid.
    It was joke... haha
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 06:56 PM
    J9 I don't think I have ever had to disagree with you on a medical issue,

But I have seen at least with my work in TN and working in some of the prison hospitals, the Hept C was recommended but if you did not want to take it, you could sign that you refused.

Now this week, I am going to work in a Hospital myself in about two weeks,
    I had a Hep b shot ( first of three) but they did not do any blood test or draw any blood, they merely did my TB test and came in and gave me a the first of three shots.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 07:08 PM

There is no hep c shots available. Only Hep A and B.

Sorry but your wrong Fr. Chuck.

J9 is right. First of all, They need to draw blood first to find out whether you have non immunity or not. Then if you actually need the shot. They will start the vaccinations.

You might have had an odd experience but the norm is that you need to protect yourself and others. By making sure that your vaccinated for Hep B.

May 11, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    There is no hep c shots available. Only Hep A and B.

Sorry but your wrong Fr. Chuck.

J9 is right. First of all, They need to draw blood first to find out whether you have non immunity or not. Then if you actually need the shot. They will start the vaccinations.

You might have had an odd experience but the norm is that you need to protect yourself and others. By making sure that your vaccinated for Hep B.
    You are right about there not being a Hep C shot but at the same time you are not REQUIRED to have a hep B shot otherwise they would have refused my application, and Im not going to die, if it comes to the point where I NEED the shot then I will take it but I had it when I was younger and they were saying I needed to take it again but I politely refused.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface5 View Post
    You are right about there not being a Hep C shot but at the same time you are not REQUIRED to have a hep B shot otherwise they would have refused my application, and Im not going to die, if it comes to the point where i NEED the shot then i will take it but i had it when i was younger and they were saying i needed to take it again but i politely refused.
    Well if you get Hep b, there is no magic shot or vaccination that will work then it will be too late. Many people who get hep b, it is a life sentence and you will die. That is fact.
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 07:31 PM

Sorry I did mean a Hep B, wrong letter, but sorry, had it done Saturday and no blood draw at all.

It was done at the Concentra Medical Center in Marietta GA

May 11, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    When did this happen, if you know? Are you sure that isn't a local regulation? I think it is a good idea to take the vaccination series, but I was unaware that it had become mandatory.
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:13 PM

I will be honest I was not given a choice this time either, I went to take the drug test and they had already check the Hep B shot and the TB test boxes, so got it all while I was there.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:16 PM

My question is, what's the big deal. I understand that some people have a fear of needles, but if you want to work in this environment then don't you want to do everything you can to protect yourself?

If they had a shot that prevented cancer you'd get it, wouldn't you?
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:19 PM

You know us Americans and that silly Idea we have about freedoms. Guess it is just the idea one should have a choice. But then it is not Burger King is it ( IE their slogan have it your way)

May 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    My question is, what's the big deal. I understand that some people have a fear of needles, but if you want to work in this environment then don't you want to do everything you can to protect yourself?

If they had a shot that prevented cancer you'd get it, wouldn't you?
    Yes of course I would. I just didn't know it was mandatory. I thought most HCWs were voluntarily vaccinated.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
    Yes of course I would. I just didn't know it was mandatory. I thought most HCWs were voluntarily vaccinated.
    Actually, that post was addressed to the OP. :) Sorry, I didn't make it very clear.
    Expert

May 12, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
    When did this happen, if you know? Are you sure that isn't a local regulation? I think it is a good idea to take the vaccination series, but I was unaware that it had become mandatory.
    This started a year ago, and I finished with my series of shots in November. It is quite possible that my facility is being overly cautious, but I prefer overly cautious with this illness rather than being nonchalant. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vaccination Hepititis B [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could have messed this up. I got the first Hep B shot on Thursday and took an antibiotic the next day as I was feeling an urinary tract infection coming on as well as a yeast. Did I mess my body up more by doing this? I had antibiotics from about a month ago that I didn't...

Hpv shot [ 1 Answers ]

I have gental warts do I need to get the hpv shot? And would I get cancer ?

Hepititis c [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter has had hepitis for years,how serious is it for her

Hepititis c [ 1 Answers ]

Can this disease be cured?

Hot shot [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start a hot shot business

View more questions Search