Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Test socket and/or ballast.
    Hello, I have 2 fluorescent light fixtures in my garage, both controlled by the same switch. Each fixture has 2 x 8ft bulbs in them. One full fixture works fine when I turn the switch on. Up until this morning the second fixture would only come on if I rotated or jiggled the bulbs. Then after rotating and jiggling they went out completely and won't come back on. I replaced both bulbs and its still no good. I have a feeling it may be the sockets or ballast but I'm not sure how to test it. I did buy a spare ballast but it needs to be wired differently than the magnetic type I removed. So I'm wondering the best way to test the socket(s) first. There are 4 sockets, 2 on each side of the bulb. One socket has white leads only, the other has black leads only. Obviously this was the side taking voltage from the source. My source voltage is fine. I have a multimeter but not sure how to use it ;)

Thanks in advance.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
    First, don't assume the white wires are "neutrals." The output of a fluorescent ballast is not grounded. It also operates at around 500 volts, so turn off the circuit breaker before working on a ballast.

Usually you can see a bad "tombstone." The socket will be cracked, the tube will fit loosely, the socket will fit loosely in the fixture, wires will be loose, etc.

Chances are you have a weak ballast. Replace it and see if it solves your problem. Make sure the new ballast is rated for the lamp you are using.

Also, if your old ballast does not specifically say "NO PCB's," then wear rubber gloves and dispose of it as hazardous waste.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert A15 intermediate socket to A19 standard socket [ 10 Answers ]

I need more light from my Hampton Bay ceiling fan light. It has the new A15 Intermediate base bulb and does not put out enough light. Is there a fluorescent bulb available for the Intermediate base socket? Is there an adapter available for the socket that would allow me to use a Standard size...

Ballast [ 7 Answers ]

What is the test procedure for a ballast. I would like to know how wired up in light and a bench test. Thank you in advance for any help. :eek:

My ballast won't work I think do to 120V supply when it's a 240V ballast will this work [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 240V 60Hz 600W ballast and Im trying to hook it up in a small nursury room in my home. I like in California so I think the V ac is 120. Can I use this converter on the top of this page. Will it work if I plug it in to the wall that supplies what I think 120V. I think this because on the...

New ballast bad? [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a 4 bulb light fixture in the grage (110V) using a 4 bulb ballast. The problem I'm having is one bulb doesn't come on. I've changed bulbs and still the samething. I'm thinking it probably the ballast. Any ideas? Omar

View more questions Search