Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CASSY12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Sentenced on dismised charge
    I was arrested on a charge. I spent 68 days in jail then the charge was dismissed, the jail didn't release me, the next day I went back to court on a motion to clarify. I refused to accept a plea by the state the judge then placed a $5000 bond on the charge that was dismissed, and a week later I was convicted and sentenced to jail on the dismissed charge.
    Wouldn't that be illegal?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 12:54 PM

Didn't you have an attorney representing you on this? Why would you think this is illegal? If you had an attorney represent you in court, I'm sure he would have brought that to the Court's attention that it was illegal.

It does not matter how many times you ask us this question, basically you aren't going to get any "magic" answer here other than what we've already told you in your previous question.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 10, 2009, 01:17 PM

With the vague scenario you present for us here, this is my understanding:

You were arrested and charged with (unknown). After 68 days behind bars the charge was dismissed. Was your unknown charge dismissed with or without prejudice? You say you have an unknown charge with an unknown type of dismissal. How close to correct do you want your answer to be?

On the 69th day of your jail stay you were back in court on a motion to clarify. Did you file that yourself or did you have a lawyer? The state offered you a plea bargain and you refused so the judge ordered a $5,000 bond on your original charge. And a week later you were convicted and sentenced.

Going by the information you have provided it would appear that you were prosecuted legally.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 06:38 PM

And prosecuted very quickly, in fact so quickly makes me wonder

But no, you can never ( NEVER) be convicted of a dismissed charge, NOW they can re-file charges, dismiss one charge but refile if there was a issue with the first charge.

But sounds like you just misunderstand the dismissed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sentenced 5 yr probation tomorrow [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sentenced 5 yrs probation tomorrow for a felony (long story, don't feel like talking about it) in NY. After I am sentenced in court, do I get sent straight down to probation? And if so, do they drug test you there on the 1st day after court?

He's been sentenced to live outside.ALL ALONE till eternity [ 19 Answers ]

So I have these horrid neighbors that tie their dog to a dog house in their yard. The dog LIVES there. He's bound to the doggy house and I often see the dog resting on the roof of the little house, (it's flat). He never goes inside and sometimes the owners go out and visit him. He looks so sad and...

Convicted and Sentenced without hearing. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been informed by the California Employment Development Department that they are going to withhold five weeks of my benefits for having made an error on my benefits claim form which resulted in an overpayment of one week's worth of benefits. The amount they overpaid to me was $398....

Sentenced to probation one week ago [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I was sentenced to 18mo probation a week ago, the drug testing contacted me 3days after that, I tested positive for THC but have not smoked in over 60 days, I have not even met my probation officer yet, this was not a drug related misdomiener, help, I do not want to go to jail, thank you Lagd

View more questions Search