Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Asoom Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Capacitor (HW)
    a) The area of parallel -plate capacitor is 5.0 cm^2 and is filled completely with Teflon. If the separtion between the plates is 2.6mm, what is the maximum energy that can be stored before break down ?

b) The capcitor is now charged to half Qmax and then disconnected from the battery. What is the energy stored in the capacitor and the voltage across its plates ?

I solve first one and I get 0.2165 J

but the second one I can't solve it , so anyone can help me ?
    bhysics Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 10:09 AM

This is a basic problem...
    You have just to combine the two important formulae from the capacitors...
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Capacitance is given by:

or

The energy stored is

C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge in coulombs, V is the voltage in volts, A is the area, d is the distance between the plates, εr is the dielectric constant (static relative permittivity)

That should give you almost everything you need to solve the problems. You'll need the dielectric constant for Teflon. Google "relative static permeability" and you'll find it.

Here is a site with a lot of calculators and explanations about capacitors. You should be able to find the calculator you're looking for. Plug your values in and it'll tell you if you calculated correctly.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...capcon.html#c1
    bhysics Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 12:28 PM

like I said^^

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start capacitor/ run capacitor info [ 3 Answers ]

OK I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a run capacitor or my start capacitor My fan on top of my unit runs but the compressor will hum for about 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so . Is it possible for my duel run capacitor to let the fan run but not let the compressor run, or is...

Use of capacitor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a completely discharged (when I got it there was a paper clip between the posts) 120v capacitor. It is the same (physical) size as the capacitor my brother is currently using between his battery and amplifier in his car. I would like to know if I can charge this capacitor off my car battery...

A/c capacitor or something else? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I am pretty darn sure that my ac fan cap is bad the you can hear the unit running but, fan doesn't turn on if I leave it off for a day or so I can turn it on but after the inside reaches temp it shuts off like it should but will not turn back on (the fan) anyway I am wondering as a woman that...

Ac capacitor [ 6 Answers ]

Ac condenser fan not blowing where's the capacitor located?

View more questions Search