Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nialkj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Electric to detached garage
    Hello and thanks in advance for any help. I have a detached garage just under 300' from the 200 amp service at the house. I plan to run the wire underground in conduit. I am a little confused as to what (exact) type of wire I should have for this run. I am going to have a 100 amp sub-panel in the garage with the ground field at the garage. One of the quotes I have states "100 amp URD" for the wire. At the local "big box" store they told me that this is 2-2-2 wire (aluminum). My question: exactly what wire am I looking for? In the garage I will have lights, a small bench grinder, a 110 volt portable air compressor and maybe some hand held power tools (drill, etc.).
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 03:30 AM
    URD cable comes in 3 wire and 4 wire. You will need 4 wire for a subpanel.

URD cable is rated for direct burial. It comes in a twisted assembly.

If this is pulled into a conduit, the conduit will need to be a bit oversized, as pulling twisted cable assembly through conduit is difficult. For a 4 wire #2 cable, probably min 2 inch conduit would work, depending on how many bends in the conduit. Any 90 Deg sweeps should be steel, as the friction of pulling cable that long will burn through any plastic sweep.

You can use straight conduit for the long run as protection and easy replacement of the cable in he future, and not have any sweeps or bends at the ends, letting the cable just lay in the earth near the ends and rise into conduit at both buildings, since the cable is rated for direct burial.

Using #2 Al for 300 feet will only allow a 20 amp 120 volt load to operate and keep the voltage drop at 3%. 40 Amps at 240 volts will be 3 % Vd.

The #2 will be fine as long as your loads don't go too high. which what you describe sounds OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Rod-Detached garage [ 2 Answers ]

Reading other responses to wiring detached garage, most replies suggest grounding rod, in addition to the ground wire that is from the Main panel. My garage sub-panel does not have a grounding rod, I would like to get some information on installing one. Is there a minimum distance from the main...

Wiring a detached garage [ 5 Answers ]

I am building a detached garage 300' feet from my home and main breaker panels. The meter is out by the road right of way 450' from the home. The garage is going to sit somewhere in the middle about 150' down the hill. Rather than tap into the house panel I'd like to come right off the meter at the...

Detached garage sub-panel [ 4 Answers ]

First I want to thank those who have given such good advice on this forum. I have a 900sqft detached garage. I am installing a 125amp sub-panel. I plan to install a 100amp main in this panel. The house is 100ft away. My plan is to run 2" PVC sched 80 conduit from the house to the garage. ...

Detached garage pad [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to get some information on building a garage starting with the Pad. I am planning on building a 22X26 detached garage. The rough grade was completed about 4 months ago. It is a clay base with no topsoil added yet. Should I get a bobcat in to remove a couple inches or just pack down...

View more questions Search