Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smuff3758 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Bolens transmission belt replacement
    Hello friends.
    Trying to replace the transmission belt on a Bolens model 13AM762F765 (15.5HP 6 speed) tractor. Model year is 2006. Purchased from Lowe's.

Owners Manual states that this replacement must be accomplished by a certified service center. To replace a belt? Come on ---

So, my question: Can anyone out there give this old boy some guidance on replacing the belt?

Thanks in advance to any/all responders.

Howard Smith
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

May 7, 2009, 04:25 PM

Looked at your Owners Manual and it says you can call MTD for the service manual. Here is a link to the parts breakdown.

Go to this site
    PDF Manual Web Archive

Choose this manual in the middle of the list for the exploded parts

GDE:IPL: 760/770 SERIES

Looks pretty hairy to me...
    AD_Ward9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 08:03 AM
    If your 13AM762F765 is anything like mine, it eats belts for breakfast, so you need to learn how to change them.

The bottom belt in the stack is the biggest, and drives the deck: simple to replace.

The main transmission belt you ask about is the hardest, but not difficult if nothing has seized. The process is:
    1. Remove the battery under the seat and set to one side.
    2. Empty out all fuel: disconnect the line between the tank and the filter into the carb.
    3. Look to where the battery is and you can see a small belt going around 3 pulleys. The one on the front right (towards the front of the mower) has a spring. Remove the nut on the top of the spindle of the spring, take the spring off the spindle, and put the nut back so it is not lost. You can now remove the top belt in that stack, then the main transmission belt.
    4. Take the belt driving the deck from the main drive pulley: the lowest one on the post coming out of the engine.
    5. Now you need to remove the drive pulleys: this has a 3/4" nut on it. Remove the nut, remove the thick wire cage and pull the pulleys down.
    6. You can now put the new transmission belt on, and replace everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2003 John Deere L120 Transmission Replacement [ 8 Answers ]

I think I blew the 4th transmission on our tractor again. Instead of paying through the nose by sending to the dealer again, I was wondering how difficult it was to purchase and install one if you are not all that mechanical ? If I chose to do it, where can I purchase one cheaper that through the...

Bolens Upper Drive Belt issue [ 3 Answers ]

I have tried to replace the upper drive belt on my 2003 Bolens Lawn tractor and the MTD OEM replacement belt from Lowe's is a thicker belt. This causes the belt to not seat into the pulleys correctly. Is there another belt I should be using. The MTD website shows this part number as 754-04002. ...

V-belt replacement [ 2 Answers ]

How do I replace a v-belt on a 1996 white outdoor L12 lawn tractor?

Craftsman transmission or belt? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Craftsman hydrostatic DGT 6000 with 32 hours on it. All the maintenance has been done to date for reference. For some reason after about 15 minutes of use the tractor won't move if you stop. Even if you push the hydro control all the way forward to top speed it won't move. In fact you...

View more questions Search