Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VermillionsGirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 08:22 AM
    How to Remove non-Biological fathers name from Birth certificate?
    My ex and I were together for three years he signed my sons birth certificate knowing he wasn't the father. He got a paternity test done and it indeed showed he is not the father of my son. Since we broke up he doesn't want anything to do with my son and I want his name removed from the birth certificate. I live in Arkansas I want to know what I have to do to get my sons last name changed to mine and my ex's name removed.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 10:10 AM

We you married? Did he also sign an acknowledgment of paternity when he signed the B/C? Signing the B/C might be the same - it varies from state to state.

He might be the legal father of the child regardless of biology, in which case you cannot have his name removed from the B/C.

You also would not be able to change the child's name without his consent.

I would recommend having a lawyer sort out paternity. If he is not the legal father, someone IS and that person would have to give consent to the name change.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2009, 10:42 AM
    Steve is right, by signing the because he may have acknowledged paternity biology notwithstanding. If he did not challenge paternity when he found out the test results, this will reinforce things.

So he may be the legal father whether he likes it or not.

May 11, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    We you married? Did he also sign an acknowledgment of paternity when he signed the B/C? Signing the B/C might be the same - it varies from state to state.

He might be the legal father of the child regardless of biology, in which case you cannot have his name removed from the B/C.

You also would not be able to change the child's name without his consent.

I would recommend having a lawyer sort out paternity. If he is not the legal father, someone IS and that person would have to give consent to the name change.
    We did not get married. No he did not sign an acknowledgement of paternity. So what you're saying is I have to get in contact with him to get his name removed?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VermillionsGirl View Post
    We did not get married. No he did not sign an acknowledgement of paternity. So wat you're saying is I have to get in contact with him to get his name removed?
    That is the essence of what I am saying, yes.

May 11, 2009, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    That is the essence of what I am saying, yes.
    And there is no other way around it because I really don't want to make contact with him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:07 PM

Sorry, he is the legal father regardless and has to be contacted, In fact in some areas he may not even be able to be removed depending on how long he has been, and/or the real bio father may have to file a claim for paternity against it in others.

May 12, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by VermillionsGirl View Post
    And there is no other way around it because i really don't want to make contact with him.
    If there was, don't you think we would have suggested something?

May 13, 2009, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    sorry, he is the legal father regardless and has to be contacted, In fact in some areas he may not even be able to be removed depending on how long he has been, and/or the real bio father may have to file a claim for paternity against it in others.
    Okay then. When I do make contact with him what is it that he and I both need to do?

May 13, 2009, 05:45 AM

Your best bet is to get an attorney to advise you. You need someone familiar with local laws and local courts. As we said, even if he isn't the bio father, he may still be the legal father and that may not be reversible at this time. So it may not even be possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to put fathers name on birth certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 6 months pregnant and getting a lot of hassel from my ex partner(babys dad) and his mother they treat me as if I'm stupid and say I have mental problems when I stick up for myself I have never said I would stop them seeing the baby when she comes along do I need to put his name on certificate

Can you remove a biological father from the birth certificate. If he agrees [ 9 Answers ]

I have a one year old daughter. And her father has never helped support her. And now that the State is forcing him to, he's asked me if there was anyway to have his name taken off the birth certificate so that he has no legal obligations to her! I agree with him and think it would be for the best,...

Court order to remove fathers name from birth certificate in PA [ 2 Answers ]

My sister got pregnant when she was 21 and had her baby. The father took off when she was 5 months pregnant. She was very naïve and thought he was coming back so she put his name on the birth certificate. Well, he never came back and it's 12 years later. We have reason to believe that he had...

Adult child seeking to put biological fathers name on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

Forget it.. I'm calling an attorney!

View more questions Search