Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jordanhack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Light bulb broke in ceiling fan
    A light bulb blew in my son's ceiling fan. When my husband went to replace it the bulb shattered and the silver metal surrounding it, flakes off when we try to untwist the bulb. The metal is almost like foil now and when you try and turn the base of the bulb it will not budge. If you try to turn it with a tool, the metal just breaks. Please advise.:rolleyes: :confused:
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 01:46 PM
    I've heard of using half a potato, with the power off course. Otherwise you can simply remove and replace the entire socket.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 25, 2006, 05:42 PM
    From what you've described, you may have had the wrong wattage bulb (too high) in the socket - most are designed for 60 watts or less. If this is the case, you may also have 'cooked' the wires to the socket and probably need to replace the entire socket - they are available at most better hardware stores. Check the other wiring while replacing the socket - if anything else in there looks burnt or if the insulation is brittle, replace the entire fan.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 25, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Yes, the potato trick, with the power off, works. You can also put on gardening gloves and get it out. Again with the power off.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2006, 02:48 AM
    The potato method only works if there is glass shards left protruding from the socket. If all the glass is broken down to the socket base, you can use a pair of needle nose pliers inserted into the socket and spread them out so the points of the pliers grip inside the lamp base.

There are lamp removal tools for this task, nothing much more than a tapered flat metal, for the various size sockets available, with teeth on each side to grip the inside of the lamp base.

Of course, safety first:

Be sure the power is off to the light fixture, and stays off until you are done.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, the inside of the lamp base will still have glass breaking out, and other debris that can injure eyes.

If there is any damage to the lamp socket, it will need to be replaced.

Inspect the lamp socket carefully before restoring power, any short due to damage or left over debris will cause a spark shower.

A handy tip for any screw in lamp is to spray a small amount of WD-40, or equivalent, on the lamp base, will prevent the lamp from getting stuck and allow easy removal later.
    Tarponman Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2009, 02:17 PM

This problem has happened to me. I removed the ceiling fan and laid it on the floor. Assuming you have NO power to the light at this point, take needlenose pliers or thin lipped sheetmetal pliers and work the aluminum casing out of the light. With it down, and a little patience, you should be able to remove all the fragments. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota Camry light bulb replacement [ 3 Answers ]

The light bulb has burnt out on the gear shift assembly. I have a 1998 Totoyta Camry. How do I get in to replace it. Thanks Pam

Light-bulb change in HB fixture? [ 2 Answers ]

The condo unit I bought has a Hampton Bay light fixture in the kitchen (flushmount, 2-lights, 60w, frosted glass)... this sounds funny to type these words, but how do I change the bulbs? Does the glass portion unscrew? Does the fixture pull-down from the ceiling? I am very hesitant to monkey...

Why is my fan fluorescent light bulb flickering? [ 2 Answers ]

10:25 AM 2/13/2006 I recently installed a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan w/florescent light kit. To control the fan and light I installed a remote switch manufactured by the same company, Harbor Breeze. The problem I am having is the fluorescent light is constantly flickering, whether the fan is...

How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? [ 5 Answers ]

Golden Retriever The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb? Border Collie Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code. Dachshund You know I can't reach that stupid lamp! ...

1998 Honda Accord odometer light bulb replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, The odometer light in my '98 Accord is out. No other lights are out - so I'm figuring it's just the bulb. I took out the two screws at the top of the instrument cluster, but when the panel wouldn't pop our easily, I didn't dare try anything further. I'd just like to get to the...

View more questions Search