Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoda Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 03:51 PM
    Can I put in a different size modem for dial up connection? In older computer w/50k
    Trying to help a friend who wants to keep his older computer.
    His modem broke. He says it had a 50kbps DIAL UP modem. He says
    They don't make them anymore.
    I recommended that he may be able to put in a 56K modem, even
    Though it used to have a 50k modem.
    He is in Mexico. And other people do have cable/DSL, Wifi, etc..
    So, it seems he should be able to use his dial up okay.

A repair person put in a virtual modem, and it is only picking up
    Half of his original dial up speed he was getting with his
    50k modem.

I don't know what operating system he has, or brand of computer.
    He just says, he knows he needs a 50 k modem... because that
    Is what came out of his computer... and he wants his computer to
    Work again. And if they don't make 50k's anymore... he feels he
    Will have to try to find an old one somewhere.

So, the question is: do you know the name of a very good reputable 56k modem?
    And do you know that it won't cause his computer to stop functioning if he puts that size in?

Thank you very much !
    plumberchris911 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 04:13 PM

50k modems I have never heard of
    !!
    They were 56k 15 years ago !
    He has no hope of finding that modem (if it exists)
    It is all cable now
    He would be better off just buying a more RECENT second hand PC and then hookin it up to either a 56k modem (slow as hell now) or saving up and getting broadband with a supplier
    That's it - the world has progressed and he is decades behind - hope this helps
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 04:34 PM

US Robots has been around for years. USRobotics - 56K analog fax modems, dialup accessories, and 33.6 external modems for Home and Business

FWIW 56K has never been obtainable at the US because of restrictions placed on the telephone system. 50K may have been the absolute max even though the modem was capable of 56K.

In order to get these high speeds the Central Office had to have ISDN connections.

Thus two computers could not communicate at the highest speed using 2 modems and ordinary phone lines.

What will be the problem is the PTSN tones or call progress tones that are used. See 3am Systems - World PSTN Tone Database

Based on Mexico and the United States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Skype for dial up connection [ 3 Answers ]

I have a dial up internet connection and I am planning to use Skype "Linksys WIP320 Wireless-G IP Phone for Skype" or " Linksys CIT400 Skype Dual-Mode WiFi IP Phone". Which is better for me ?How's the connection like? I've no Idea help... Bundle of Thanks

Computer connection via phone line with dial-up host [ 2 Answers ]

I need to connect to a computer in a rural area where there is no high speed internet - just phone connections. Purpose is to monitor one or more cameras on the property. Need to set up a computer to computer connection that's initiated when I dial rural computer and have it set up to answer...

Sm56 internal motorola dial up modem [ 4 Answers ]

Just purchased a new PC with a motorola sm 56 internal dial up modem there are 3 accounts on the PC .the first person to open the internet conn is fine but if that person logs off and leaves the net conn open for another account user to use when they log on its telling them the net is connected but...

Dial up connection [ 2 Answers ]

Aoa, I have dial up connection to internet.I can not listen phone calls during internet usage. I want to know that am I called by phone during my web browsing? Is there any program available to know about which Tel Phone calls are coming my during web browsing? Thank you

View more questions Search