Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erclark Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 05:53 PM
    Hose Bib Replacement: $300+?
    I know that it is hard to estimate the cost of plumbing jobs without knowing a lot of the details, but I really would like to know if what I'm being charged is anywhere near reasonble! I'd love it if someone with more expertise could give me some insight!

We had the line to an exterior hose bib freeze and split during the winter. We just discovered this weekend while doing some gardening. The repairs would completed today -- and involved replacing the hose bib. The line was fully accessible in the basement and did not entail cutting through any drywall. The existing line had been copper but was replaced today with some flexible blue tubing. I was shocked to find that the cost was over $300. This is not at all what I expected! :eek: (We live in a suburban area in Central Pennsylvania.)

Does this seem crazy -- or might it be a fair price? Any thoughts would be so appreciated!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2009, 06:09 PM

I would not have liked the blue tubing unless I was told it was not being replaced as original.

But let me see 75 to 90 or so as a service call fee ( just to get them to your home plus maybe 15 min)
    Most likely a hourly fee of 75 dollars or so, and the price of material.

I mean you are looking at over 100 dollars for almost any repair at least around here
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 06:14 PM

Should have been around $80 for the call plus about $25 for the pex and $15 for the new bibe, if you got one.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 4, 2009, 06:15 PM
    How long was the plumber there and why didn't he replace withy copper? What was the length of the plastic tube? Regards, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 08:40 PM

It is hard to say with out seeing the job, Tom have asked you some good questions please respond to him, as every one else says and with out seeing it myself based on your explanation it is on the high side, Good luck.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2009, 03:17 AM

It really depends how much pipe he had to replace. Please, answer Tom's question so one of us can give you approximate cost. Thank You

( But for my area, $300.00 charge doesn't seem to be excessive... )

May 5, 2009, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    How long was the plumber there and why didn't he replace withy copper? What was the length of the plastic tube? Regards, Tom

Oh, man! Thanks to everyone for all the help. I'm feeling like such a chump for calling someone, when with a bit of research it appears I could have done this myself. My husband never wants to attempt such things, but I'm pretty sure I could have done it! (Who knew that hose bibs are just threaded into the main line? Not me! :rolleyes:)

Ok, here are the details of the job, as I can now piece them together:

I have the old hose bib, and upon inspection, it's clear that it was threaded and was simply unscrewed and removed. A new hose bib (with a bleeder) was then inserted. In addition, and without offering/explaining this to me, a line of PEX was also added. The PEX runs on the inside of the basement, from the hose bib back towards the center of the room and has two small valves that allow the line to be drained from inside the house. (This involved about 15 ft. of PEX and the two small valves.)

Given what I now know, this line of PEX seems totally unnecessary. Why would we need two different methods to drain the line?

I didn't time the work exactly, but my guess is that it was about 2 hours.

Now does $300+ seem too high?

Again, your many insights are much appreciated!
    Eternal Plumber

May 5, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Figure 2 hours @ $75 per and you have half of your bill of 300 bucks. And yes! We could have walked you through the repair either using copper and Sharkbite fittings or else converting to PVC. Using Pex's funky. On your statement did he break down the parts and if he did would you share? I think he nailed you on the material.
    Regards, Tom

May 5, 2009, 06:26 AM

I didn't get an itemized bill yet, but we asked for one. I'll share it when it arrives.

So do you see any reason to have run that PEX line? Would that have been an major additional cost, or just nominal?
    Eternal Plumber

May 5, 2009, 06:33 AM
    So do you see any reason to have run that PEX line? Would that have been an major additional cost, or just nominal?
    I wouldn't have used it and I wouldn't have put two valves in the supply line. One inline stop and waste valve should have done the job. Using Pex Tubing shouldn't have cost as muchas if it were done in copper. I sure would be interested in eyeballing that itemized bill. Regards, Tom

May 5, 2009, 08:38 AM

But why do you think he installed the PEX line at all? Why would there be a need to bleed the line from inside the house?

And, if this was totally unnecessary, wasn't it a bit deceptive of him to add it without giving us the option? Or am I missing something here?
    Eternal Plumber

May 5, 2009, 12:20 PM
    But why do you think he installed the PEX line at all?
    Who knows? Perhaps he had it on his truck and used it instead of charging you for chasing material.
    Why would there be a need to bleed the line from inside the house?
    I have no idea why two valves were installed instead of simply installing a stop and waste valve. This valve is there to shut the water off to the hose bib in the winter and drain the line fron the hose bib back to the stop so it doesn't freeze and burst the pipe. I don't know what the plumber ran into at your place but it wouldn't have taken any one of my plumbers two hours to cut out the faulty line and replace with either copper or PVC. What do the rest of you guys think? Regards, Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 01:01 PM

OK, maybe the guy is somewhat of a perfectionist. I did the same. Ran a piece of PVC from the drain of the stop and waste valve to the sink.

Makes draining a snap. Although no standard fittings were used.
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

May 5, 2009, 01:03 PM

I'm no expert (not even close) but in my basement refinishing project I had to adjust the connection to my hose bib because it originally was connected with a copper pipe that was too long, and would interfere with drywall attached to the 2x6 exterior framing. It only took me about 30 minutes to take this apart and put it back together with a shorter pipe connection (it was originally connected with PEX and I made the connection with PEX again.)

Seems odd to me that a pro would take so long on this job, but that's just my opinion based on my limited experience... I can't really speak to the material costs or why he approached the job the way he did... at least you have found a good resource here for any future projects, just like I have!!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2009, 01:44 PM

From my own experience and also for your amusement:

Angle stop servicing our toilet in Master Bathroom developed slow drip. It was discoloring brand new travertine floor behind the toilet. My wife asked me about 1,000 times to fix it. All it would take would be to tighten the packing nut about 1/4 turn. Time wise: about 1 minute worth of labor. I kept forgetting, and forgetting... until one day...

One day I came home from my shop and notice there was my competitor's van parked in our driveway. The plumber was just leaving. I walked inside the house and - being a plumbing contractor for over 30 years - I asked my wife in rather demanding tone in my voice, what exactly was the purpose of his visit. She informed me that since I "...never had the time..." to fix that dripping angle stop, she called another plumbing company to take care of.

I looked at his invoice. It said: Replace 1/2" Comp x 1/2" IP angle stop. Reattach existing water supply. Labor and Materials: $512.00.:D
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 02:13 PM

I love that. Priceless.

Isn't it always true that the plumbing is never done when the SO is a plumber or the electrical isn't done is the SO is an electrician etc.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Here is my drain set up for a hose bib:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attach...-640-x-480.jpg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips [ 5 Answers ]

Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see...

Whirlpool washer drain hose replacement [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace the drain hose on my Whirlpool top-load washer?

Hose Bib Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I live in central Florida and my house is only 3 years old, however my hose bib continually leaks no matter how hard I turn the valve off. I'm pretty handy at repairing things, but my question is how do I know if the hose bib is threaded or glued on? I know all the plumbing was done in pvc because...

Replacement of Broken Hose Bib without wall removal [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Wow, what a great site. I made the mistake of not removing my hose from my exterior freeze resistant bib and I think it has broken to to freeze. I discovered, on this site, that the break must be between the on/off handle and the connection on the other side of the pipe that I...

Vacuum hose replacement [ 2 Answers ]

How do you remove the ends of a wired Kenmore Vacuum cleaner hose and put them on a new hose bought as a replacement part? Thank you.

View more questions Search