Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tchur1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 07:54 AM
    Openness with adult daughter
    My daughter e-mails me about once a week. However, she never calls. She has called twice in two months. The funny part is she called a few months ago to tell me she has a new cell phone and gave me her number. If I call her, I usually have to leave voice mail and she never returns the calls. I want to ask her if there is a reason she doesn't like to call or what? Would I be too controlling by asking her this question? It also upsets me that when she writes, she never includes a word or two to her Dad. It's like he doesn't exist in her life. Should I address this issue, too? I seem to always be hesitant in expressing my feelings because I don't want to upset her.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 08:03 AM

Sure ask her and let her know you would appreciate if she call more often or at least answer the phone when you call.

I know that I don't talk often to my mom on the phone because she got to the point she won't even call me or my sister because I am always busy and my sister spends the phone call talking to her husband and kids.
    I have to call her to talk to her and I rarely get the chance. But the more attempts my mom would make the more harder I would try to talk to her by returning her calls... at least that's me.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 08:09 AM
    I don't know how old your daughter is, but younger people rely less on calling than other generations. Their communicating consists of emails, IMs, texting, etc.

Perhaps you are not communicating effectively and she does not realize how you feel. When you leave a message, do you ask her to call you back?

Tell her how you feel. Mention that her father misses her. Also, remind him that if he wants to speak to her, he should pick up the phone and call.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 03:38 PM

Perhaps she simply does not like talking on the phone, but has one in case of emergencys. This is me. I hate my phone. But I have one because I know someday I may NEED it.

Ask her. There is nothing wrong with finding out her reasons :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult Daughter Won't Speak to me. [ 41 Answers ]

She's 43 and has not liked being around me for years. She seems to be jelous of me being happy. She likes it when I'm completely helpless, like after surgery she took me into her home. She's married has 4 children and lives an afluent life style. My husband and I visit three times a year. They live...

My adult daughter won't talk to me [ 9 Answers ]

Hi... I'm stressed as can be. My daughter who just graduated from college just moved home in May. She did it to save money before she plans to move to another state. However, she made my life and my teenage son's life miserable. (I'm a single mom). All I asked that she do is help keep the house...

His adult daughter hates me [ 3 Answers ]

My significant other moved into my home at his request 3 years ago. We have been together for several years total. His former wife is very bitter towards me and continues to cause drama. (Hang up calls, berating me, spreading stories, telling him to come to his senses, denigrating my religion). He...

My adult daughter [ 8 Answers ]

My adult daughter is very upset with her family and me because we've been suggesting that she needs to find employment with benefits. She has quit every job she ever had and quit her last job about 6 months ago. She is not looking for work and has no medical insurance. She is very angry that I or...

Difficult Adult Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

This question is really about my BF's daughter. We would like to move in together, but this situation is driving me crazy and I want to help him deal with it. Here goes: BF's ex is bipolar and PTSD and has been "incapacitated" for many years. He supports her, and she does not work. So,...

View more questions Search