Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrspinball Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2009, 08:21 AM
    To use gutters or not use gutters?
    We are building a house slab on grade (no basement) and would like information on whether we need gutters-the pros and cons? Including things we should do if we choose to not use gutters.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 08:38 AM

Pros:
    -directs rainfall away from your foundation
    -helps keep you dry when entering your home

Cons:
    -cleaning them unless you install "gutter helmets:
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 1, 2009, 08:08 PM

nikosmom is correct. Gutters are a must unless you are building low slope roofing with drains. Foundation problems are a terror to repair. Water problems are just as bad. Gutter guards/helmets are great for heavy wooded areas where leaves are a problem.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2009, 08:54 PM

A con not mentioned here , if you have mulch beside the house or grass and plantings the rain will make a demarcation line along out from the wall of the house. It looks like a stripe and will also cause a depression in the grass line.

Too much water falling from the roof and blowing rain on top of that could easily cause a window leak that you will find out later the hard way.
    suptclark Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

May 5, 2009, 07:10 PM

If you live in very cold climate, it is sometimes a good idea to forget gutters because of ice dams.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 07:58 PM

Gutters don't cause ice dams at all. Its poor insulation close to the eve that's the problem.

http://www.statefarm.com/learning/lo...on_icedams.asp
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 08:12 PM

Why wouldn't you want gutters? Do you need foundation problems? Guess you do.

Just choose the larger downspouts instead of the smaller ones and the gutters won't clog up with leaves, etc. as most of the debris will be flushed down the downspout. Most people cheap out and get the smaller diameter downspouts and end up with clogged gutters.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 5, 2009, 08:26 PM

Put up the gutters even though you are on a slab. Gutters will redirect rain from your entrances and also make leaks at drip edges and windows less likely. If you don't want to clean them you can buy a very inexpensive version of gutter guards at Home Depot. Menards recently sold 10" sections for $1 after rebate and regular prices are about $5 per 10' section.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gutters: What to Look For? [ 7 Answers ]

I want to fit gutters on my house. Presently, the house has only a drip edge. But with a new roof and paint job just completed, I think adding gutters, (south FL location; lots of rain), is a wise move. Never having done this before, can someone point me in the right direction? What's good,...

No gutters [ 1 Answers ]

None of the houses in my neighborhood or the surrounding ones have gutters and we can't really afford them either. But when it rains the water runs off my house in this one spot and POOLS there. Any suggestions for keeping my flower bed from turning into a pond?

How much for new gutters? [ 2 Answers ]

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast near Houston. I am wanting to have rain gutters installed. What is the average rate per linear foot for aluminum gutters installed. Thanks MHGINCT:

No Gutters [ 3 Answers ]

We have removed our old gutters and do not intend to replace. There is a space between the fascia boad and the subroof - What can we do or use to close this gap??

Gutters [ 1 Answers ]

I need help selecting a "gutter guard" product. Do they really work, or do they just slow down the build-up? Which works best? My open gutters get full of debris, but I can easily clean them with a leaf blower. The guard systems have to have openings for water, and it seems like they may trap...

View more questions Search