Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vktikku1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Difference between Hookup Wire and Building wire
    What is the difference between Hookup wire and Building wire.
    Are they same
    If so then why call hookup wire
    sathe1963 Posts: 97, Reputation: 4

May 1, 2009, 06:23 AM
    Please elaborate your question stating size of wires used enabling us to answer.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 10:08 AM

Wire is wire for the most part, but there are differences.

But, let's take something like 14 AWG hookup wire and 14 AWG THNN.

The THNN has an approval to be used as building wire. That affects insurance.

The THNN has a plastic overcoat. This makes it more slippery. It resists abrasion when pulling through conduits etc.

Insulation does affect the current carrying cabaility and so does the ambient temp and location.

When you look at a building, there are lots of wires used. You could have fiber, coax, CAT5, doorbell, Thermostat, fire alarm and "building wire".

Solid wire is cheaper and is good to use within the building.

Colors are important too.

Tstat wire has a brwn jacket and is solid.
    Fire alarm wire has a red jacket.
    CAT5 cable should be colored coded based on it's application. A riser, main feed and connections within a floor get different colors.

But, the biggest difference is the resistance to abrasion and it's "approved" for that use.

In reality all wire has approvals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can ihot wire a polan rideing lawnmower I lost keys can I hookup a switchor butto [ 1 Answers ]

Lost key to polan 5hp riding mower can someone tel me witch wires to cut to make it run on a switch thanks.

How to wire 2 wire fan remote to 3 wire circuit? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a room that has 2 light switchs to the same light, so it is a 3 wire circuit. I bought a fan with a remote and the wall mounted remote has only 2 wires, how can I connect it? Thanks, Pete

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

Hard wire 3 wire to 4 wire 220 service [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hard wire my 3 wire (red,blk & bare copper wires) 220vac cooktop to the 4 wire (black/white stripe,black/red stripe, blk/blk & bare alum wires) in the house supply j-box ?

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

View more questions Search