Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chadsapp73 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 04:37 PM
    My AC unit cools really good fro about 2 hours then it blows abient air.
    My AC IS a 3.5 ton split I'm having trouble with it blowing cold air for more than 2 hours at a time what cold cause this when it starts up after about 30 min. its blowing 49.6f and after about another hour and a half its blowing 66. f. there is no sign of freezing up and the coils have been cleaned and it has a new filter what else can I do ? At it's best in the 2 hours there is a 20.f Degree difference and at it's worst it is only 6.8f.
    zanec Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Apr 29, 2009, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chadsapp73 View Post
    My AC IS a 3.5 ton split im having trouble with it blowing cold air for more than 2 hours at a time what cold cause this when it starts up after about 30 min. its blowing 49.6f and after about another hour and a half its blowing 66. f. there is no sign of freezing up and the coils have been cleaned and it has a new filter what else can i do ? At it's best in the 2 hours there is a 20.f Degree difference and at it's worst it is only 6.8f.
    Sounds like the contactor is faulty and won't pull out shut the system down so then the condenser runs until it shuts down on low pressure cut-out but let the pros answer and see it they have the same answer.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:08 PM

One cause for what you describe is an over charge of freon but it has to be over charged to a high level to be as noticeable as you say.

A 20 degree differential is good 17 to 18 is as low as you really want.

Another cause could be a problem with an expansion valve that meters the amount of freon that goes through the evaporator coil.

Off hand those are the only two that come to mind without more information about the units run time and some gauge pressures.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:55 PM

Could maybe be a condencing fan motor going bad and shutting down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating unit blows cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I have an A/C Heating unit that blows cold air when turned on. After its been off for a few hours it will turn on blowing heat for a few cycles but eventually it starts blowing cold air.

Carrier split unit only cools for first 10 min. [ 6 Answers ]

Carrier split unit only cools for first 10 min. after start up. It's a older unit could it be low on freon? It stopped heating as well. What should I check the heat pump or the compressor or could it be a loose 24 volt wire from thermostat I want to try and fix it myself before a pro. Rips me off...

View more questions Search