Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2009, 04:30 PM
    How to get certified as a woman owned small business
    The more I look into this, the more I'm confused! I work for a woman owned small business in CA. They want me to research becoming certified. It looks to me like unless the owners of the company live in California, which they do not, they cannot qualify for a small business in CA. The State of CA web site specifically states that the owners must be "domiciled" in California.

Next, I cannot find anything about being a certified woman owned business. What I have found states that there is no certification, it's self-certifying. But then I find companies that do help business become certified. I'm very confused and there are tons of references to MBE/WBE certifications. MBE/WBE just refers to minority and woman owned, is that correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 28, 2009, 12:35 AM

To answer one of your questions; yes WBE is a woman owned business. Most WBE, set aside a percentage of the business for WBE and MBE. By the way MBE members are American Indians, African Americans and Hispanics.

I own a commercial cleaning company near Chicago, most contracts for building cleaning given by the City, State and Federal are MBE and usually about 15 to 20% of that building is set aside for WBE. And you must be a registered business in the State for City and State set aside business. A number of larger companies, especially those doing business with the City, State or Federal are reuired to have a certain percentage of set aside vendors.

It has been quite a while since I have dealt with this but I believe that you are certified by the State. Although some larger cities require you to certify with them also. I do not go after this business, not because of the set asides... but because all these jobs are very slow pay. Even more so now with the economy.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land is owned by inlaw, House is owned by my husband [ 2 Answers ]

Land is owned by inlaw, House is owned by my husband whom I'm separated from. Landowner is harassing me and threatening eviction. (Landowner is walking around my yard, blocking my driveway, that has a right of way. Also threatening eviction based on my comings and goings and who I have over at my...

SOL on a Business to Business Small Claims Court [ 6 Answers ]

Our case is that we purchase of a software "PICK" 3 user licence, Oct 1 st 1997. It did not come to our attention that it was illegal till March 2007. We ended up filling a Small Claims court suit for $10,000 for our money back. Today the jugde refused our claim saying SOL had expired,...

Looking for small town business-to-business service need I'm qualified for [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone out there can help! Some entrepreneur who's already made this discovery and who can hep me do similar. Seems everything I can think of nobody would pay any $ for me to do. I am 7 yr stay at home MOM w/ 2 kids now just both in school and I really need to find work I can do to...

View more questions Search