Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terry2058 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Mobile home title

How do I get a title for a manufactured home in NYS. The park owner that I bought it from said he never got a title when he bought it from another park owner. I am trying to sell it
    And the buyer's attorney wants a title.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2009, 01:00 PM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's, especially when it has nothing to do with your question. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

You need to get a bill of sale from the park owner and take it to the DMV and ask for a title certificate. However, if the title is still in the original owner's name (or the name of the person the park owner bought from, you may have to go back to that person to get title transferred.

You should NEVER by anything that requires a title certificate without making sure title is transferred.
    Xyzpdq0121 Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Apr 25, 2009, 05:12 AM

It is no different then a car... The DMV and DOT control all that.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzpdq0121 View Post
    It is no different then a car... The DMV and DOT control all that.
    I meant to give you a reddie instead of a greenie. This information is completely wrong. The DOT has absolutely NOTHING to do with mobile homes. I have no idea where you keep saying that DOT has something to do with mobile homes. Would you kindly cite your source for this? I worked at a manufactured home dealer and the only time the DOT had anything remotely to do with a mobile home is when the home was on the road being moved or delivered and then the DOT would only come into play due to the truck that was pulling it.
    Xyzpdq0121 Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

Apr 26, 2009, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I meant to give you a reddie instead of a greenie. This information is completely wrong. The DOT has absolutely NOTHING to do with mobile homes. I have no idea where you keep saying that DOT has someting to do with mobile homes. Would you kindly cite your source for this? I worked at a manufactured home dealer and the only time the DOT had anything remotely to do with a mobile home is when the home was on the road being moved or delivered and then the DOT would only come into play due to the truck that was pulling it.

Well Twinkie,

If you sold mobile homes, then you know that each mobile home is regulated by the DMV/DOT and HUD. Depending on the state, the DMV and/or the DOT can and do regulate mobile homes. They set the limits for moving, what needs to be done before they can be considered "permanent" and what regulations need to be followed. (The only exception I know of is I think Washington state I think has transferred those regulations to the Dept of Commerce for some reason) So depending on the OPs state, it can be controlled by either the DOT or the DMV. So the title would reside in one of those two departments depending on how his state regulates double wides...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzpdq0121 View Post
    Well Twinkie,

If you sold mobile homes, then you know that each mobile home is regulated by the DMV/DOT and HUD. ..
    I think you are laboring under the impression that in some states, the DOT performs the function of registering motor vehciles. I think you may think that because the DMV is often a department of the state DOT. But I blieve what twinkie is saying here is that the two functions are separate and I believe she's correct. The function of registering vehicles and motor homes is solely within the DMVs. The only issue where the DOT is involved is the rules on transporting mobile or manufactured homes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Title on Mobile Home [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The management of my trailer park wants to give away 4-5 older mobile homes that have been abandoned and that there are no titles for. How complicated is it going to be for me to get the titles so I can fix them up and rent them out? I live in Colorado. Thanks ahead of time for any...

How do I get Title of Mobile Home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was given free of charge an abandoned mobile home in holiday mobile home park by the manager of this park. I was told that after paper work was done on it I would be given title to transfer. When I asked the manager about the title last week she told me she had 32 others she was working on...

Mobile Home Title [ 3 Answers ]

I lost my mobile home title during Katrina (I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast). The lien holder said they don't have it anymore because they sent it to me. How do I get a copy of it?

Title to mobile home and title to land is separate can it be sold on one deed [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into the country in a mobile home and started renting then a year later we decided to purchase the land and mobile home on contract. We have paid taxes and insurance on it. 2 years later we find the person selling it to us does not have the title to mobile home just to land. Does he have...

Mobile home title [ 4 Answers ]

My husband was given a mobile home for payment of services and was given power of attorney over it. Eight years later... we are currently living and renovating it and I was wondering how we get a clear title for it?

View more questions Search