Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruhe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 04:37 PM
    85 Honda Civic won't turn over
    First, my knowledge of cars is limited, so forgive me if my terminology is off.

I went to start my 85 Honda Civic Hatchback yesterday, and the starter slowly puttered out (crank crank Craaank Craaaaannk... nothing). Now, when I go to start the car, Nothing happens. I can pop the clutch, and the car runs just fine. The Lights and Radio work, so I know it isn't the battery. I just got my oil changed, and air filter changed and such the day before at EZ-Lube. I park my car, and the starter dies the next day. Their fault? Just random? I think it may be the starter, but I don't know where it is, or what it looks like.

Anything I can do about this?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2006, 06:28 PM
    You did well to get 21 years out of your starter. It's not difficult to install a new one, which is located on the passenger side of the car just below and to the rear of the distributor. Remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal before working on your starter motor.

Sep 18, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    You did well to get 21 years out of your starter. It's not difficult to install a new one, which is located on the passenger side of the car just below and to the rear of the distributor. Remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal before working on your starter motor.
    Well, I tapped the bad boy with a hammer, thinking that might (just might) get the starter turning again. No luck there! I don't have the tools to do any real repairs. Any idea what it costs to get a new one installed?
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 18, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Whatever you do, don't go to Honda for the parts. Parts alone are 10X that of aftermarket parts. They make most of their money on repairing new vehicles that are under warranty. Thus, they get paid by the manufacturer for the new parts (which they buy from the manufacturer).

A new aftermarket starter (at NAPA for instance) will cost about $125 and you should get money back for your old starter (say $25). Honda will not give you money back for the old starter.
    Best yet, go to a reputable station and they will order you the part and install it (look around $150 - $200 for parts and labor.
    The clincher is however, if it still doesn't start your out the money. Never tell a station to "fix the problem". Ask for an estimate to fix the problem and find out what is wrong. Usually a good shop will not charge you for the estimate if they do the work. Find out first.
    If your really new to this, you may want to take it to Honda for an estimate and take it to another shop for the repairs.

Sep 18, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    Whatever you do, don't go to Honda for the parts. Parts alone are 10X that of aftermarket parts. They make most of their money on repairing new vehicles that are under warrenty. Thus, they get paid by the manufacturer for the new parts (which they buy from the manufacturer).

A new aftermarket starter (at NAPA for instance) will cost about $125 and you should get money back for your old starter (say $25). Honda will not give you money back for the old starter.
    Best yet, go to a reputable station and they will order you the part and install it (look around $150 - $200 for parts and labor.
    The clincher is however, if it still doesn't start your out the money. Never tell a station to "fix the problem". Ask for an estimate to fix the problem and find out what is wrong. Usually a good shop will not charge you for the estimate if they do the work. Find out first.
    If your really new to this, you may want to take it to Honda for an estimate and take it to another shop for the repairs.
    I took my car into the shop today, and they quoted me $350 for parts and labor (they were installing a reassembled starter). I laughed at them, and talked them down to $200 for parts and labor. Mwa ha ha. I still may not have gotten the best deal, but it sure beats $350. I will get my car back in a little while, and I will report how things went. Thanks for the help! I will report back in a bit.
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Oct 1, 2006, 06:03 PM
    If it is cranking, your problem isn't your starter. It is most likely your alternator. The reason I say this is that you said the lights and the radio works, Most batterys will keep enough of a charge to allow for those items to work. Pull the alternator, and take it down to an auto parts place that can put them on a tester. Or better yet, drive there in that car, you did say that you can push start it, then get them to put your car on the machine. The other reason that I say that it isn't the starter, if the bendix goes out on your starter (common issue) you will get a series of loud clicks or a single click, or you will get a "wizz" type of sound. Or, you will get nothing (but typically this will be accompanied by a number of other issues to check out) Also check out http://www.redpepperracing.com They have a factory service manual online and specialize in the 1g crx and the 3g civic. Don't let the name fool you, these guys love these cars. See you there, and see you on the road soon.
    TURKEY-POINT Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
    That's 'bad' Info. That Problem Sounds Like A Battery Failure. The Cold Cranking Capacity Of That Battery Has Dropped Well Below Its Rating. If It Is A 600 Cca It Has Probably Dipped To About 150 To 200cca.it Would Appear His Issue May Be Resolved Though. Trouble Shooting On Line Is Not Easy, But Becarefull Of The Advise You Lend. If The Alternator Is Weak Or Bad, Normally The Battery Will Be Dead. The Battery Is The Heart Of All Auto Electric Systems Known To Exist. It Is The Starting Point Of All Test Sequences. It Must Be Charged At A Slow Rate [2 To 6 Amp] For 6 To 12 Hours. Then The Surface Charge Must Be Removed, Then Load Tested According To Its Cca. Or Manufacturer Suggested Test. If The Battery Checks Out, Check Cables And Grounds, Then Run The Enginge And Test The Alt. Then Do A Starter Draw Test. You Don't Start In The Middle And Work Your Way Out Either Way. Lets Be Proffessional Or Lets Not Answer These Threads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda civic [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 91 honda civic 4 door sedan dx. I just replaced the rotor and distributor cap and now the car won't start. First I checked multiple times to be sure I had the firing order correct. I then read the thread written by CroCivic91 and checked my ECU codes. I got a 10 and 16. The 16 sounds...

89 honda civic won't turn over [ 1 Answers ]

Most of the time it starts.Is now acting up once in a while.when you push clutch to the floor you hear a click and that is all.when you keep pushing pedal to floor it will turn over eventually.Can someone please suggest what's the problem or how to fix this? THANK YOU!

Key won't turn in 95 Honda Civic [ 6 Answers ]

My steering column in forever getting locked on a 95 Civic that I bought. The person who sold it to me told me to push the key in and clockwise while jiggling the steering wheel left to right . This worked a couple of times but it is a HASSLE to start the car and I live in fear that I won't get...

My 89 honda accord will turn over but don't start [ 1 Answers ]

I stopped at a stop light and my 89 honda accord cut off on me.I was unable to start it again.I changed the plugs and wires and still it will try to turn over but never fully starts.any recommendations on what I could do next.

Honda civic engine will not turn [ 5 Answers ]

My '88 Honda civic was running when I pulled the 15 amp ecu fuse. This immediately stopped the engine. I believe I returned the fuse with the ignition key still turned. I have since been unable to start the engine-all I get is a click from the fuse box area just under the driver side dash. I have...

View more questions Search