Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 21, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Potty Training
    Help, please!

I baby-sit for my four year old (just turned four) nephew.

Getting him to urinate on the potty is not a problem. Getting him to poop
    Is a total different problem.

He knows what the potty is for and he knows to go there and urinate. However, he will not poop. He will tell me he has pooped in his pull-ups and ask for clean ones but to head for the head (pun intended) to poop is not going to happen.

How can I get him to use the potty without making a big battle out of this.

My current plan is to consider using super glue to bind him to the toilet, whips, chains, clubs to beat him into submission or turn to you folks for some creative ideas that are not punitive in nature.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2009, 07:56 AM

He may need a child sized potty to feel comfortable.Kids have this fear of *falling in*.

You can also give him a sucker or a toy to play with and say*you sit here and have the sucker and when you are are done going potty ,we can go (insert fun activity)*

He might feel more comfortable if you are with him in the room.
    Tell him that is how big boys do it .

He should have big boy underwear that he likes and remind him that he does not want to mess in his big boy panties.

Give praise for a job well done and give praise for effort as well.

He should not be in pull ups.It should be explained to him that he is a big boy and he is going to wear big boys underwear.No pooping in the underwear,tell him that firmly but lovingly.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

May 5, 2009, 02:40 AM
    I am just embarking on this myself, and I agree the pullups have to go. I started last week with my 2 3/4yo boy. He didn't have an accident all weekend, and is wearing his big kid underwear all the time at home now. When I do put him in a pullup-like a quick trip to the store or something, he'll pee in them and then tell me he did it. But he won't do that in his underwear. As for the pooping, well, they've pooped standing up for the last year or so at least, sometimes its hard for them to learn to push it out sitting down on the potty. How many times have you caught him standing in a corner in the other room or hiding behind the couch to do his business? I'm going to start with the other next week, after we've really got the peeing on the potty down. My sister's little boy is just now getting the hang of it, after being pee-trained for 6 months. Is it just a boy thing? My girl pooped first all the time, then got the hang of peeing. Weird kids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training? [ 6 Answers ]

I just got a 6 week olg Pit Bull. Can anyone help with some tips on Potty Training I'm.

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

When should I start introducing potty training to my 1 year old he has been walking for 5 months and walks well... I just wanted some opinions any would be apprecuated:D

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a year old mini dacshund and he is not potty trained, he refuses to do his poopies outside. We do have him in a crate and he goes for a long period with not accidents in there and we take him right outside and he won't go. We have disciplined him for this much, even put him back in...

Potty training my son [ 15 Answers ]

HELP! I have a son who will be three years old in 3 months. He has expressed zero interest in potty training. I have tried everything I can think of. I have tried putting him in underwear all day so he can feel the wetness, tried the little potty, the big potty, tried putting cereal in the...

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

View more questions Search