Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Shower floor tile job gone bad.
    I recently had a contractor install a mosaic tile floor in a shower. Unfortunately the floor was not pitched correctly and is level. So water puddles instead of flowing towards the drain. The shower pan was done correctly prior to this with a preslope and panliner installed below the final mud bed.

Is there any way possible for me to create pitch by adding more thinset on top of the ruined floor without removing the tile, pitching it towards the drain and tiling over that? The drain should still be adjustable up to accommodate if needed. The tile itself is the 3/4" x 3/4" mosaic tumbled marble finish. Would this be an acceptable approach?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks again.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Apr 20, 2009, 08:48 PM
    It would be risky to patch and re-slope the floor leaving the tiles in place. It might work? I say that because it'll take you several pores to get it right. Plus I'm not so sure the drain will unscrew. It's best to remove the tiles and work off the deck mud instead. You'll have to raise it probably 1/2" around the perimeter depending on its size.

Is the person that did the final slope out of the picture now?

Jaz

Apr 21, 2009, 04:55 AM

Well fortunately or unfortunately he's out of the picture. This is the second time he screwed it up. At this point I'm on my own. So if I can get the tiles off cleanly how would you raise the level of the mudbed? Is skimcoated thinset OK or should I use more mud?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Neal.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Apr 21, 2009, 07:20 AM
    Deck mud isn't going to work at all. Thinset will not either. I would use a Portland based patching and leveling cement. Do NOT use a SLC, self leveling cement. You may be able to correct the slope in a few tries? Remember, 1/4" per ft to the furthest corner in min. slope.

Jaz

Apr 21, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Jaz, can you recommend by name exactly what to use please? Also I'm assuming I'm troweling that on and creating pitch, let dry and then thinset/tile over that? Is this what you mean?

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 11:26 AM

I am confused, how did you go from a correct sloped pan to flat? I would not try to put more band aides on this and just tear everything he did out down to the sloped liner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile over acrylic shower floor [ 4 Answers ]

I'm am wanting to tile over a acrylic shower floor and need to know what tile adhesive would be best to use or would it be better to tear it all out and start over? The acrylic floor is very slippery when wet and a little soap/shampoo gets on it and there is a fall hazard. I have tried non-slip...

Re-Tile Shower Floor? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help and can't find any scenarios that don't refer to full shower pan replacement. I have 3 year old shower that does not leak but had badly cracked grout and a few floor tiles from a foundation shift. (yes, that bad.. I fixed drywall corners up one whole side of the house! Got...

Tile shower floor leaking [ 1 Answers ]

Maybe someone has some insight. I just redid a tile shower floor. My first one. I feel I did everything correct but have a leak. It seems the water is coming from around the drain body when I look from below(it's damp right by the edge of the drain body). I tore the existing tile, lead pan,...

Tile a shower floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. It an an existing fiberglass shower basin. It is not cracked put it is discolored. I don't want to make a new basin. I was wanting to know how to use the existing basin and tile it with 1" travertine tiles. On the walls I am putting 12" travertine tiles.

View more questions Search