Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skydive4life Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Apr 19, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Quite confused
    When I was younger I used to believe in God. Now I find myself not believeing to an extent. It seems so hard to get into heaven.. like no matter what its not a possillity. And for everyone that isn't a christian.. are they just screwed? Do they not lead good enough lives. They may not even know about christanity and were brought up in a different relegion.. does that forbid them from getting into heaven. I don't know it just seems a little crazy I guesss
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 07:34 AM

Crazy ? Perhaps by human thinking, but getting into heaven is easy, simple, does not depend up on good works, it only requires faith in Jesus as your savior, belief that he died for your sins and you are saved by his forgiveness. Now after that you will want to try and live by his examples.

But merely doing good is not enough since you can not ever be good enough or do enough.
    Jesus made that clear when talking to the religious leaders of their day who were doing "good" in the sight of man.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 08:04 AM

God is the only judge to decide who goes to heaven and who does not. We as humans have no right to make that judgement call.
    skydive4life Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Apr 19, 2009, 09:06 AM

I understand all of that. It just bothers me that there are millions of people practicing different faiths but they are all forsaken. What if I was born into a muslim family then would I be doomed to burn in hell?
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Apr 19, 2009, 05:13 PM

It really isn't possible for ANYONE to get into heaven because, as you said, we are not good enough. (God does require perfection).

But that's why God planned and sent His Son into the world; to take the wrath which each of our sins deserves... on Himself. (He was perfect in all ways).

He is available as savior to all who want His perfect forgiveness.

You may have noted that all man-made religions teach that a person has to get rid of all their sinning and earn heaven. But, as you said, you know this is not possible.

Seek to know the God who loved you enough to save you from the punishment for sin.
    amalekite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    crazy ? perhaps by human thinking, but getting into heaven is easy, simple, does not depend up on good works, it only requires faith in Jesus as your savior, beleif that he died for your sins and you are saved by his forgiveness. Now after that you will want to try and live by his examples.

But merely doing good is not enough since you can not ever be good enough or do enough.
    Jesus made that clear when talking to the religious leaders of thier day who were doing "good" in the sight of man.
    I do not claim to be a Christianity Expert, but I would beg to differ, good works are essential to being saved as are the other things you mentioned...

I Timothy 2:10 But (which becomes women professing godliness) with good works.

I Timothy 6:18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

I Timothy 5:25 Likewise also the good works of some are manifest beforehand; and they that are otherwise cannot be hid.

II Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works.

Titus 3:14 And let our's also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke to love and to good works:

Romans 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Will you then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good, and you shall have praise of the same:

John 10:32 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Will you then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good, and you shall have praise of the same:

Psalms 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good.

The Bible has MANY references to good works, and I believ you can't live a Christinan life and have faith in Jesus with out doing good works...

Please consider this my friend: Take heed to yourself, and to the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this you shall both save yourself, and them that hear you (I Timothy 4:16)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amalekite View Post
    The Bible has MANY references to good works, and I believ you can't live a Christinan life and have faith in Jesus with out doing good works.......
    True, but good works do not SAVE, as Eph. 2:8,9 says -- "it is a gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast."
    amalekite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    True, but good works do not SAVE, as Eph. 2:8,9 says -- "it is a gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast."
    I never suggested that good works alone would save you, just that it was an essential part of Christian faith...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amalekite View Post
    I never suggested that good works alone would save you, just that it was an essential part of Christian faith........
    Then we misunderstood your comment, "good works are essential to being saved."
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Apr 25, 2009, 10:49 PM

My understanding is that it is God's grace which would send people to heaven. Good works might get some leverage, yet the prime factor is HIS grace. According to a pastor, "Going to heaven is like riding a bicycle. You stop pedalling the bicycle and you fall. Similarly we have to keep doing the good works." God knows our mind and our thoughts. And at times when we do good work there is always some selfish intention behind it, whether we accept or not. Jesus wants us to deny ourselves and focus on HIM. Our good deeds should be with non-selfish motives. Only then when we can give our coat too to the person who asks for the shirt.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2009, 11:05 PM
    Only God knows and judges who will go to heaven.
    No one else knows for sure.
    But the bible does tell us that faith is necessary and good works are a proof of that faith.
    A faith without works is dead.
    So one must have a living faith.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

May 4, 2009, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive4life View Post
    when i was younger i used to believe in God. Now i find myself not believeing to an extent. it seems so hard to get into heaven..like no matter what its not a possillity. and for everyone that isnt a christian..are they just screwed? do they not lead good enough lives. they may not even know about christanity and were brought up in a differnt relegion..does that forbid them from getting into heaven. i dont know it just seems a little crazy i guesss
    That notion seems crazy because it is crazy. None of us know who goes to heaven or even what heaven is. I happen to believe it is a state of consciousness that is a peace that is beyond our grasp on this planet. That is just my belief, not my factual knowledge. Different people have different beliefs and no one can say for sure. But no matter what, I don't think good people are going to suffer through eternity because they were brought up a different religion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2009, 06:06 PM

It is not ours to decide or to judge Gods rules and his principles.

First you have to work on your faith and not give it up because of what others may or may not believe.

If it is true ( and of course it is) then by giving it up, you are giving it away for yourself.
    And by not helping spread the news of Christ you are not helping others learn
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 09:24 PM
    I agree with Fr. Chuck.
    Keep your faith and work to make it strong resisting outside negative influences.
    Fred
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

May 5, 2009, 05:49 AM

We don't do good works to GET saved or score "brownie points" with God. We do good works because we ARE saved and good works naturally flow out from one born of the spirit.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 09:32 PM
    homesell,
    That is a very good reason to do good and be good.
    As the bible says it proves you have a living faith not a dead one.
    Also as the bible instructs us that exercising our faith is what makes it stronger, like WORKING our muscles.
    It is as the bible mentions to WORK out our salvation.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 06:45 AM

Good works don't save at ALL. It isn't grace plus good works... it is FAITH plus nothing and then good works become reality ONLY because of the Holy Spirit.

I agree with Jesushelper that we cannot judge whether someone is going to heaven or not. But this is what the LORD Jesus said:

I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6

I love that verse, it is one of my favorite.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Classy,
    Yes we must have a living WORKING faith to be saved.
    A dead faith is one without work to prove it is living.
    Yes works alone do not save, and neither does faith alone.
    No where in the bible does it say that "faith alone" saves.
    Luther tried to alter the bible by adding those words to it and dropping the book of James from the bible because it clearly states the faith without works is dead.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm confused [ 2 Answers ]

Hello there, I'm new to the forum, I usually don't talk about this kind of stuff with family or friends because I know that I may just hear what want to hear, so that's why I ask here to people who doesn't know me who would answer honestly. My ex-girlfriend broke up with me two months ago, we...

I am confused [ 7 Answers ]

Hi this is my firt time here and I am very confused:confused: because I want to continue school I have been in the dental field for 6 years I don't know I want to become a hygenist but is 2yr college and then enroll in the actual hygene program fore 2 years more?? I am a mom of two kids and also...

I'm confused [ 2 Answers ]

I met this girl about a year ago, she and I became best friends. We do practically everything together and have a lot in common (yeah I know its odd but she a bit more mature for her age and I'm a bit immature). I started to become attracted to her a couple of weeks ago, and I'm rather certain...

Confused about him. [ 6 Answers ]

OK well this might sound strange but I have this guy who I hook up with when I can... which is about once a month or so and I am starting to really fall for him when all he wants is a non-committment thing... he's already told me that he has been hurt before and doesn't really want a girlfriend and...

I'm Confused [ 5 Answers ]

Im in love with a 17yr old, and I'm 20... and I have a 1yr old son... and I'm afraid that his parents are going to charge me.. can they really charge me??

View more questions Search