Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snow124 Posts: 116, Reputation: 28

Apr 19, 2009, 05:22 AM
    What brought you closure after a breakup?
    For me, it was deleting her as a friend on various social networking sites. I did it because I anticipate she'll start seeing someone else soon (she didn't have a problem with it when we were together, so I don't see why there'd be any reservations now that we're apart) and I didn't want to read about any of that. So, I deleted her in the interest of saving myself more heartbreak in the near future, but it feels like I severed any remaining connection with her... in a good way. I feel like it brought closure to our relationship.

I wasn't sure if this was a common result of doing that, so I figured I'd ask - what brought you closure?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 19, 2009, 06:31 AM
    Accepting that a partner was unwilling to work with me on a relationship.
    JohnnyBlog Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 10:53 AM

Still waiting. I think it will be more a mental thing that just happens rather then something physical but things like social sites and ways of communicating being closed does help speed up that mental process.
    Devilfish Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 07:23 PM

Changing my number and email address
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 19, 2009, 07:38 PM
    I had closure when I thought to myself "wow, what a selfish jerk. Aw well. Single woman party!" THen I got this awesome boyfriend who treats me so right it's incredible
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Apr 19, 2009, 07:49 PM

Finding myself, learning to love, respect and understand myself.

Just being myself.

P.S. I guess I should add, I'm still in the process.
    Lovelee Posts: 150, Reputation: 5

Apr 19, 2009, 07:51 PM
    He emailed me all the time after we were done and I answered him up until he asked me if I wanted him to stop emailing (because his attempts to get me back wasn't working) so I never responded and he finally got the message and never wrote back since, its brought me closure then.
    kaitou Posts: 190, Reputation: 43

Apr 19, 2009, 08:47 PM

I got my closure, when I finally realized I deserve someone that is willing to put in effort to be with me.

Funny thing is, I found someone that treat me like a princess soon after I made up my mind, and finally let the other guy go.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 11:50 PM

Hey Snow what brought me closure, I got a few things:

- NC
    - Knowing she was moving on with her life without me
    - meeting new awesome people on here and through friends
    - Family and friends support and AMHD support
    - Acceptance that its over
    - Feeling relieved that I don't have to feel hurt or be in a complicated situation anymore
    - Music
    - Knowing I deserve someone better, that is loyal and will love me no matter what
    - Inspirational books, feeling and look great with a set of new clothes XD

All of these things played a part in my closure. Although some seems to be how to get over a relationship but getting over one is part of what I consider closure =P
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 19, 2009, 11:56 PM

For me, as odd as it may seem to many if not most, closure came with forgiveness. Even when the breakups were ugly or sad, I couldn't find true peace within myself until I forgave and learned to just become friends again. Once I could do that I wasn't left with sticky deep feelings of resentment or hatred that can eat a person's soul hence truly able to move forward.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 05:24 AM

I will have to agree with Silver a bit. There were a ton of things I can think of that perhaps added to the closure, but having the true sense it was over never really happened until I learned to not be angry with what happened, and accept this as life. If you still carry around the anger and sorrow, then letting go is still an afterthought...

I would say as far as closure, seeing her with another man on my birthday pretty much gave me the boot to my arse I needed to go through with the other stuff... change my phone number, block her emails, get rid of Facebook, all that stuff. Once, however, I learned to forgive and to not really care what she did, that was when I really started living life.
    snow124 Posts: 116, Reputation: 28

Apr 20, 2009, 05:44 AM
    I would think not caring what your ex does would be a sign that you've already found closure, not necessarily something that brings it.

I understand that harboring anger and sorrow about what happened in a past relationship and can prevent you from putting it behind you, but what about disappointment? I function kind of strangely in that I very rarely get angry - but I still find myself really disappointed by the things my ex did to destroy our relationship. I imagine this will eventually be phased out with acceptance, but do any of you think it'll prevent me from really moving on?
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 05:47 AM

Closure: Realizing it is OVER for good... (as I stated in my above post, by seeing her with another guy)

Moving on: Living your life without a care about what she is doing... doing things for you (once again, stated in my above post). Yes, if you still harbor anger towards her I think it will prevent you from moving on. Think about it this way, if you are still wasting emotions on her, then how can you be truly over her?

You bring your own closure. It is whatever you want it to be. Perhaps it can be a combination of things, but ultimately, closure is whatever helps you STOP acting like you will eventually be back together. To me, it is when you finally have no more sense of false hope.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 20, 2009, 05:50 AM

Only if you let it. You're the one responsible for your own healing, and moving on.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 06:20 AM

My closure was when on Christmas, she started seeing the same guy that she had told me "she had no feelings for and just worked together" once you lie and make me angry, I start getting busy living my life by my own accord.
    Arzy99 Posts: 67, Reputation: 17

Apr 21, 2009, 07:05 PM

My situation was kind of similar to yours Rome... my closure came when I found out from a 3rd party she was going out with/seeing the same guy she had been getting close to for a few weeks (when we were together).. I was confused when she left me, since she gave me the reason that she "felt uncomfortable in a relationship and didnt know why"... but when I found out she really left me due to this other guy, I had found my closure... I initiated NC and I haven't turned back! (Many thanks to the guys on AMHD for this)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden death brought on by (?) unresponsiveness [ 4 Answers ]

My mother passed in June this year. She aspirated on some food (grits, not much), was given some Roxanol orally for relaxation, slipped into unresponsiveness, and never regained consciousness. She passed 29.5 hours later. I was told this was the "disease process," as she had COPD, but this is not a...

Who brought the cat [ 2 Answers ]

Loved this lol

Brought new in '03 panasonic, now no picture [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2003 panasonic hdtv 1080i, and the picture went completely out. Does it need a bulb replacement?

MAGIC WORDS (What brought you back) [ 14 Answers ]

Ok ladies, We all know you've been the breaker once or twice.... And we know NC is powerful. Still, What brought you back to a current or past boyfriend? - some magic words - actions - situation - the way he handled the break

Fate brought us together, yet we're now apart! [ 6 Answers ]

We met outside a club I never go to. I was there to meet my ex who never turned up and ended up talking to him. We spent the whole weekend together and every other day from then on. We got on great and I met his daughter who's lovely and only 3 years old and loved me back. His ex-wife...

View more questions Search