Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barry Campbell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Remove existing shower stall drain
    I have an acrylic shower stall in the basement. The drain seems to be leaking and I want to remove it. I've cleaned all the sealant around the floor collar but it won't budge. Is is glued in? Does it twist off (threaded)? What tool do I need to get a grip on it? Help. -Barry
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2006, 08:52 PM
    I happen to be on the forumn when you post, so I try to answer. There are many others that are more qualified, so wait for their answer before you do anything...

The "sealant" you refer to is probably silicon. It is placed under the lip on the top side of the drain. When you remove the grill, this is the part you see when you are standing in the shower. There are basically two places your shower will leak.

I) between the base and the abs plastic plumbing
    ii) the abs plastic plumbing joints

It is HIGHLY unlikely that you leak because of ii)

So check first.. put a little bit of water on the plastic lip, try not to let any of it fall into the black abs drain pipe. Just let the water sit on the edge.. if you still get the leak then you know it is here atitem number I) above.

So, what to do?

Well, you can probably get away with just cleaning up the silicon sealant, putting new stuff down and replace the grill. But you must be able to lift the plastic lip first... it is bolted down. You need access to the area UNDER the base. Usually this means you need to cut a square out from the ceiling in the room below shower.

When you can see the shower from the bottom, just reach up and unscrew the large plastic lock nut. You might need a huge wrench for this..

Once it is loose, go back upstairs, remove the grill & drain and clean the base area. Dry it. Apply silicon. Put back together and tighten the lock nut from below.

Hope I got it all.. was my first try at plumbinb help

Knucklez
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Hey Barry,

I can find no fault with Kuucks advice with the exception of, "put a little bit of water on the plastic lip, try not to let any of it fall into the black abs drain pipe. just let the water sit on the edge.. if you still get the leak then you know it is here atitem number i) above."

I seal off the drain with a wet rag jamed in the opening or blow up a balloon in the drain and fill the base with 1/2 inch of water. Then I watch for a leak.
    Outside of that, for giving plumbing advice for the first time he was bang on.

This is a typical shower drain, (see image). Since you have a basement installation you'll need to pull the base to get at the nut.
    That presents a problem so try this. Take silicon jell and force as much under the lip of the drain as you can. Wipe off the excess and allow it to set up. Now test for leaks. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Shower stall leak, pan? Drain? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been noticing some wetness aroundthe outside of my stall shower. It is a Tile shower in a ranch type house on a slab. I looked carefully at all the grout on the floor and resealed the corners but that did not help. I thought it might be the drain but can only get the top off. The other has...

Shower stall drain leak [ 8 Answers ]

I have a second floor acrylic shower stall that apparently has a drain leak, based on a wet spot in the ceiling almost directly below the shower drain that has gotten progressively bigger over a few weeks. I've taken the strainer plate off, but am at a loss for what to do next. I'm presuming...

Shower drain rusted unable to remove, help. [ 3 Answers ]

I've looked at the WingTite shower drain instructions and they seem pretty much clear. Before I proceed I would like to know if these steps will work on my drain because before I found their website I tried to remove the drain by gaining access from the bottom of the shower and could not. I found...

View more questions Search