Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flameruckus Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Water Weight
    Can someone give me a simple explanation of what water weight is... simple enough for fourteen to eighteen year olds to understand?

Does it have anything to do with homeostasis in your body?

How do you permanently get rid of it?

Also, is it true water weight can be regained? If so, how?

Thanks much
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 11:46 AM

Your body holds sugar in solution in your blood and muscles, ready to use when you do exercise. Each molecule of sugar takes 4 molecules of water to hold it in solution. If you exercise hard, or do a low carb diet which uses up glycogen, then the water which is used to keep sugar (glycogen) in solution can be lost, either in sweat or urine.

Also, if you eat something which is very salty, your body will hold onto extra water to keep the salt concentration of your blood at a healthy level. As the salt gets used up, the extra water can be lost, again through urine or sweat.

You need water. You can't get rid for more than a small amount without risking your health. A lot of people are convinced they are holding gallons of excess water weight, and if they can shift it, they'll have six-pack abs and popping muscles. Sorry, if you don't have a six pack normally, dropping a few pounds of water weight won't give you one.

In fact, your muscles look their best when they are swollen with glycogen. Many bodybuilder or fitness models do a low carb diet to keep bodyfat low, but a day or two before a competition or photoshoot, they carb load so their muscles will get full of water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High doses of fiber and water to lose weight fast? [ 4 Answers ]

Was just curious, I am 5'5" and weigh 140 lbs. I feel really good about myself and I work full-time and eat a really good diet. But my dilemma is this about a year ago I gave birth to my third son and I had been pregnant for basically 2years (2 babies in a row) and I can't seem to get rid of the...

Can water ever make you gain weight? [ 3 Answers ]

I know its 0 everything, but can water add to you're size at all?

Does drinking water really hellp you loose weight? [ 3 Answers ]

I reli wna loose a couple of stone and I hered if you drink 8 glasses of water a day this will help a lot? Is it true and how does it work? I hered it was something to do with getting rid of water wieght? But I ent got a clue what that is!! I also herd if you eat a lemon and drink a glass of...

How do you loose water weight? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all! How do you loose the water weight? I changed my pill and I am gaining weight... its been 2 months on this pill and I eat pretty good, I go to the gym at least once a week and when I'm not there I am playing kick ball with my kids, jump rope and sit ups... I started doing more when...

View more questions Search