Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nessa317 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 01:36 PM
    My son's a screamer
    I have a two yr old son who has always been a handful. He has always been a crier. He lets out SHRILL screams when he's upset. It was so bad that it was really affecting my husbands relationship with him- just because he'd get so frustrated and we didn't know how to deal with it. Usually, I just keep calm and gently talk to him -try to get him to communicate with his words but on really bad days, I have to put him in another room just so we can keep our sanity. It's not something I'm worried will get out of hand and has actually gotten a little better now that he's started talking more, but I guess I just want to know if there is another way to deal with these outbursts and will he outgrow it as he starts talking more and more?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 04:48 PM

If you can determine when he is most likely to have a melt down, maybe you can avoid at least some of them. Might notice it more if he is hungry or tired. Maybe in unfamiliar places. It can sometimes help to talk to him ahead of time in simple terms about expectations and what sort of behaviour you expect. Obviously keep it simple, but he will understand more than he can verbalize... and that is likely a part of it as well. He may get easily frustrated when he can't communicate how he would like to... in which case it should get better as he gains greater vocabulary.

Continue to use your words with him, and help him find the words he wants, but don't overly push him to have to "perform" what he has learned.

A short time-out can work for some children... let him know why and what you expect when he comes out. Keep it very short, you may even quietly sit with him... when he calms, praise him, let him know that you are sure he will do better next time and carry on. Keep it matter of fact... no drama, even if he puts on a good show!
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Apr 17, 2009, 12:18 AM

When I taught Sunday school years and years ago a family had adopted several small childeren and one boy was starting to act out slowly. I would talk in a softer voice and try to explain things to him, till one Sunday he had a blow up he was so upset about something and screamed and cyed and he just wouldn't stop I coulndt find his parnets so I asked my assistant to take over and we sat in a corner withhim screaming I held him tight on my lap and just whispered in his ear I love you and jesus loves you over and over then little by little it slowed down he go up and put his arms around my and cried and cried. From that point on I always hugged him and told him how much everyone loves him and he was a compleley changed boy. He just need just that little bit of reasurrance that he was loved and that you were here for him... I hope that may help
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

May 5, 2009, 02:49 AM

My 2 3/4yo boy is a screamer too. He just gets so worked up sometimes he can't help it. I can tell when there is really something wrong, or he is just throwing a temper tantrum. In the middle of the night he wakes up just shrieking, I know this is a night terror and he needs me to calm him and cuddle him, even though he keeps crying for 5-10 minutes. He does eventually calm down and goes right back to sleep. But when he is throwing a fit because he doesn't get what he wants I ignore him. I turn my back or leave the room. If I've told him no, and he can't have it or can't do it once or twice, and he keeps at it, that's it. I say when you're done crying come give me hugs and kisses. He eventually calms himself down, figures out I'm not going to give in when he's naughty, and comes and sits on my lap and cuddles.
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 5, 2009, 11:48 AM

My youngest son is like that, it is very difficult to figure out if something is seriously wrong. He's been like that since he was born, now he's seven and though it has improved as he's gotten older, when he melts down it is still that ear piercing scream.

Some kids are more sensative than others, I have recently started sitting down with him when it is feasible to let him "vent" same as a friend or my other half. This helps a lot if I catch it before the breaking point but once the meltdown starts, just have to ride it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it wise to buy my son's first car? [ 12 Answers ]

I was considering buying my son his first car as long as he did good in school. But I was thinking that this may not be a good idea. Would this be spoiling him? Should I make him work, save and buy his own first car? The reason I am hesitant about it is because he doesn't understand the concept of...

Maytag Atlantis Dryer turned into a Screamer! [ 1 Answers ]

Our Maytag Atlantis dryer is screaming with each drum roll. Can anyone help with this problem? The dryer is 7 years old.:):eek: {moved from Forum Help-<>}

Correction to son's name [ 4 Answers ]

My son's original birth certificate and record has him listed with my maiden name as I was unmarried at the time of his birth. I lost his birth certificate and requested a copy from PA dept of vital statistics. When I received it, my son's last name was changed to be his biological fathers last...

4 year old screamer [ 7 Answers ]

My Grandson is 4 years old. He is constantly yelling and screaming. You can't ask him a simple question with out an answer of yelling and screaming and sometimes going into a tantrum. He has been around children his age when he played tee-ball from April-June 2007. He didn't do that around them. My...

I want to change my son's name [ 10 Answers ]

Can anyone help?? Never married my son's father so I gave our son my last name and he wouldn't sign the birth certificate we established paternity so he could pay child support, we have joint custody he never sees his son went to court the judge suspended his visittation rights but we still have...

View more questions Search