Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria3333 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 12:56 PM
    401k withdrawal tax consequences vs. other losses carried over prior year taxes
    I'm assuming that on the 401K withdrawal, a certain amount of taxes is taken out up front when the disbursement is made to me (maybe the 10%, or maybe the 27% or whatever my tax bracket might be). In any case, is there a chance that losses carried over from prior year taxes could help offset the taxes owed on early 401k withdrawal? Meaning, if I withdraw $10,000 from 401k and have $10,000 in stock and real estate losses that will carry over to next year (2009 taxes), is there a chance it could turn out to be a "wash" on the taxes owed? Except the 10% penalty of course.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 01:18 PM

If you take a distribution from your 401(k) the plan administrator will automatically withhold 20% for federal income tax. They do not withhold for state/local income tax, nor do they withhold the 10% penalty. The distribution is considered ordinary income, so the actual tax you will ultimately owe depends on your Adjusted Gross Income, filing status, etc. Since this is ordinary income, not capital gains, you are limited to off-setting your income by a maximum of $3K in capital losses - the remainder gets carried to the next year. So using your figures: if you have a $10K distribution and $10K in losses, you net iincome s $7K for 2009, and a carryover of $7K in losses to 2010.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K withdrawal taxes [ 4 Answers ]

If I decide to withdraw my whole amount of $91,000 since I'm losing money, how much in taxes will I owe? It was a tax deferred account that has been rolled over. I'm 67 years old.

Prior Year Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get a copy of my 2007 taxes somewhere from the IRS online

401k withdrawal taxes [ 6 Answers ]

I want to withdraw from my 401k to prevent foreclosure and was told I would need to pay taxes up front and a penalty. Does this mean I have to pay the taxes before I can withdraw the money or do they deduct the taxes/penalty from my acct ?

401K withdrawal and taxes ? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a 37 year old male... single (not married)... factory worker for about 19 years... took out a 26K 401K hardship withdrawal last year. Out of the 26K, they sent me a check for 22K and some change... This means they kept about 4K. If my salary was 33K, not counting the withdrawal money, what am I...

View more questions Search