Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 07:26 AM
    How much water
    Hi all

Point of information.

How do u determine amount of water in well? How do u measure from top of well pipe to top of water?

Thanks for info

Chuck
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 12:38 PM

If you can get the cap off your well casing to put something in it here is a good way to measure the distance.

Use a small plastic bottle with a cap on it. Fill the bottle about one quarter full of water, this is to give it some weight. Not tie a cord onto the top of the bottle, use something like a kite string, or a contractors snap line. Put the bottle into the well casing and let if slowly drop, as long as your cord is hanging tight it is not in the water, once the cord becomes slack you will know it is floating on the water, mark the cord at the top of the well casing and pull it out, the amount of string that you let into the casing is the distance from the top of the casing o the top of the water.
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 01:07 PM

Hi Tellme

Have tried that. At about 60 ft I hit some kind of cross member in pipe and bottle will not go down any farther. I believe this is support for electric cable going to pump motor.

Chuck
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2009, 06:13 PM

If the bottle will not go down any further how do you know that is is not floating on top of the water level.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 06:22 PM

You may have to use a skinnier bottle, depends on the size of your well casing.

Although, I agree with letmetellu, because I don't think any electrical wiring will be sixty foot down.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Apr 14, 2009, 07:15 PM

Sounds like the pump or the pipe is still in the well. If so he maybe hitting a centering disc/cable guards.

We use 3/4 galvanized coupling and the bottle is a great idea. The best way to depth the well is when the pump is pulled so nothing will get stuck.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 04:44 AM

Hi

Sorry for the confusion. Was just trying to find out how much water I have in well. I have no problem.

My well depth is 480 ft and I believe the pipe is 2".

My pump is in the well.

If the bottle will not go down any further how do you know that is is not floating on top of the water level.
    Bottle comes up dry.

although, I agree with letmetellu, because I don't think any electrical wiring will be sixty foot down.
    How do you get power to the pump if electric doesn't go down well?

Chuck
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 04:01 PM

Sorry, I didn't realize your well was that deep. I didn't think about the centering device. I thought you were talking about a power supply that entered the well at sixty feet (which of course never happens), to supply the pump. I also assumed the pump was pulled during test. Sorry about my answer, as I didn't think it through enough.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2009, 04:20 PM

Hi MGD

No problem.

Meet the well man at coffee shop this morn. He said to drop penny in pipe and count the seconds until u hear a plop. Seconds times 15 gives u approximate water depth from top of pipe. Very scientific. LOL

Chuck
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 04:28 PM

Sounds good, until the penny hits the supports and gets stuck there. But definitely worth a try.

I do have one other suggestion. It it's a sunny day, you can use a mirror to shine sunlight into the well, you will be able to see if there any supports or obstrucions. This can be a bit time consuming, but it will work better than any flashlight made. I carry a small(four inch round) mirror with me in my work truck, never even think of using the flashlight if the sun is shining.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 08:02 PM

Did you say your well is 480' deep ? Is that a typo or correct info ?
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Did you say your well is 480' deep ? Is that a typo or correct info ?
    Hi Milo

No typo 480 Feet. Had new pump put in last year. 24 lengths of pipe.

Chuck
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi Milo

No typo 480 Feet. Had new pump put in last year. 24 lengths of pipe.

Chuck

Wow !

I just wonder: are you located in some "unique" location, like on top of a hill ? And if I may: what's your (general) geo-location ? I am asking to figure out where it is that water table is so low... Thank you. Milo
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Wow !

I just wonder: are you located in some "unique" location, like on top of a hill ? And if I may: what's your (general) geo-location ? I am asking to figure out where it is that water table is so low... Thank you. Milo
    I am located about 50 miles north of New York City.

Am at bottom of hill and 300 feet from a lake which is about 30 feet lower than house. The water level in late spring is at about 65 feet.

The way it was explained to me.

Water comes through fractures in earth/rock. Some houses above me are on same fractures, getting water first. In order to get pressure needed had to go deep. Also fractures calciumate over time and start to close, dropping water table.

Last year had to have well plunged with chlorine tablets to break up calcium. My neighbor thanked me because his pressure increased. Would have liked some monetary thanks. LOL

My daughter lives about 1/4 mile from me up the hill and her well is only 75 feet deep.

Chuck
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 08:23 AM

Creahands: appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me.

I've never had the opportunity to live and/or operate my business in an area where water is supplied by well - so the well related problems like yours are learning experiences to me... Thanks once again... Milo
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 04:52 PM

Milo

My pleasure. They say u should learn one new thing every day. With info I gave u, u get 5 days off. LOL

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

View more questions Search